• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

sunroof headliner

corvettejoe

SM 2003
So it appears the glue on the sunroof headliner has let go. Any thoughts on what to so to remedy this?

How do I take that panel out?
I am thinking i have to drop the headliner (not a fun idea to me) to get access to it.
Material is in good condition just came down in one corner.

There is no way around taking the headliner down. You are going to have to scrape off the old glue  then apply some new headliner glue.

Is it difficult to remove the headliner?
Anyone got a how to document for this?

It's not that hard just remove the over head consoles and the pillars covers.
I'm posting from my phone now and when I get home I'll put up a diagram.

What year do you have.

Well the manual really give good details so I'll try explaining it.

Take the a,b and c pillar covers off and the rear trim below the 3rd brakelight, they pull right off.

Take both overhead console off, they have screws holding them up and unplug the wires.

Start at the front and slowly pull the headliner down there several clips that hold it up, reach behind the headliner to disconnect the harness.

My guess is you have a leaking sunroof that caused the material to separate.

MS03 2500 said:
Take the a,b and c pillar covers off and the rear trim below the 3rd brakelight, they pull right off.

Take both overhead console off, they have screws holding them up and unplug the wires.

Start at the front and slowly pull the headliner down there several clips that hold it up, reach behind the headliner to disconnect the harness.

x2. This is exactly what I did when I wired my GMC roof marker lights...once the pillars, trims, and overhead console is off it seems pretty easy to remove the headliner. Good luck  (y)

No leaks just old age and its hots as hell down here so the glue just let go. Truck is dry as a bone.
That panel take a lot of heat in the summer here.

I have had this happen on other things on the boat and other cars. Just heat the glue gets all gumy and wears out etc.

Might tackle this over the weekend. Thanx for the info.

One more thing use headliner adhesive to restick it.

MS03 2500 said:
One more thing use headliner adhesive to restick it.

Ok thanx so not spray glue. Got it.

Who sells that glue?
Local places by chance? I dont want to take the liner down till I have the glue.

Autozone, glue will discolor the headliner material.

Got the glue pulled the remaining material off the sunroof area.
However the material is damaged from the other glue I tried. So Now I have to color patch the material. Not easy
I did get some light and dark gray . The dark gray compliments the seats so I may use that. Make it an accent piece as I don't think I'll find the factory stuff any time soon.

Ill see how the light looks too.

Ouch I was afraid of that.

well i decided to tackle this today but its not as easy as that.

I got the headliner down but there is no easy way to remove the plastic panel on the sunroof without removing the sunroof completely.  looks like it went in as  1 unit. and Im not willing to risk  a leak in the roof over this.

I have to see what i can do with it.

crap should have looked at tube first. no need to take the truck apart.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XV5jxBib3Dg

Back