• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Something never done to the sails?

2002blackedout2500

I've always wanted to do something to my sails, but wasn't quite sold on the covers. And after thinking it over for a few days I finally did it.

I got the idea from owning a few Jeep Wranglers, one of the first things I would add to the roll cage was side cargo nets. The AVs of course do not have a roll cage and cargo nets to the sails would look ridiculous because its such a small area. So to achieve a similar look I added 1" hole perforated sheets which I had left over from my brush guard mod and it came out pretty cool...I don't think I've ever seen this done to the sails. What you think?

index.php

index.php

index.php

reidbarton96 said:
How'd you attach it?

Self tapping screws directly into the cladding...its on pretty tight and the mesh is very sturdy, its made out of some hard plastic which is used for radio covers and such that I ordered on ebay.

That's different and definitely a one of a kind mod.

Well done... and may take place of the sail panel windows as everyone can make things for the most part

2002blackedout2500 said:
Yeah that's the descriptive word I was looking for "aggressive"!  (y)

Thanks guys!

I work in a metal shop with 2 cnc cutting tables... I could have some fun with this idea  >:D

That's badass (y)

I thought about doing a tinted plexi-plate like Dluvr22 did, but cutting a bowtie into it, problem is I rack my bikes so often that I can't put anything in there cause I need to stick my arm through to release the fork mounts.

Troublemaker said:
Any chance you could post a template?  I've already got a couple ideas for this....  >:D

I actually just traced out the sails on a thin piece of "clear "plastic then transferred that template over to the hard thick black plastic, I then cut out the center leaving about 3/4 of an inch for the frame, cut the perforated sheet to shape, added some adhesive to hold it in place, then screwed it in with self tapping screws at each corner and sides  (y)

Glad to see you guys liked it and will be creating your own ideas from this!
Post pictures when the mod is done would love to see it!  >:D

cooncitycornflake said:
That is so simply perfect.  Great idea.

Thanks cooncitycornflake!

By the way, on a recent trip to grab some lunch I noticed a few jeeps taking a double look, even turning their heads while I drove pass :eek: I'm sure they hate it but most Jeep guys hate everything else but their own jeeps anyway hahaha :laugh:

Sorry server is down...here it is attached:

Attachments

• sail-net1.jpg
    sail-net1.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 347
  • sail-net3.jpg
    sail-net3.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 351
  • sail-net2.jpg
    sail-net2.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 350
Not sure if you can see it, but here's how it looks with my bed-mounted full-size spare tire:

Attachments

• sparetire1.jpg
    sparetire1.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 256
  • sparetire2.jpg
    sparetire2.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 255
I love the idea man. Nice job. I just think for me I may take it and go one step further and remove the cladding and put it behind there so it looks factory instead of attached on. Not that anyone really looks behind there, but its just a thought. As far as the template, I see where youre coming from. I was thinking make a template on some thick cardstock or something so you can trace it onto there and cut it accordingly. Nice mod man  (y)

Back