• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Who has a leveling kit and 33's

delkin

I have been searching for a while and haven't found what I was looking for. Has any one noticed a change in performance after moving up to 33's with a leveling kit? I know I might see a drop in milage and am fine with that I'm mainly concerned with if others notice that the truck acts differently. Can you tell  if it struggles more on the interstate or any where else? Does anyone have the truck leveled out with the stock tire size? Thanks for your input.

Wyotonka Is running that set up and from what I have heard longer stopping distances slightly but nothin too major

I am running really close to 34" tires (285/75-17) Working well for me. I started out geared on the low side though (4.10). I needed the taller tire to improve my final ratio on the highway.
Overall it was a big improvement for me :)
I did upgrade my brakes to the late bigger front brakes. Slotted rotors and performance pads all around. All that was done prior.

This is good news. Thanks for the feedback. Ill still be running the factory 3:73s, but as long as no one has noticed a change in the way the truck cruises on the interstate, then I will probably be going with 275/60R20s. One of the things I love most about the truck is how effortlessly it cruises on the interstate and do not want to jeopardize that.

yup... I have a level and 33" BF Goodrich rugged terrain. Nothing too different in ride quality/highway travel. It has a little more body roll on corners but other than that I like it. Full lock with suspension flex I do get a little bit of rub on the back of the front fender.

I've got tires 33" tall as well as the level and  lift kit. No issues here either.
I have a Hypertech Power Programmer with the ability to program for the new tire size but it is that much of a non issue that I haven't even bothered to reprogram the computer to compensate.

I never had any issues.  Body roll/lean and stopping distances will be affected more by tire choice than anything else...

I am reading this thread and hear people saying "33's". How is a 275 tire a 33"? I looked it up on Tirerack and most say they are right around 29"-30" tall.

montoya32 said:
I am reading this thread and hear people saying "33's". How is a 275 tire a 33"? I looked it up on Tirerack and most say they are right around 29"-30" tall.

Ahh but I believe you have it wrong Montoya32.
275 is the measurement of the width of the tire in mm and is not the height at all.

To calculate the height you use the other numbers.

Example Tire size 275-60-20

This means the width of the tire is 275 mm or 10.83 inches wide
The 60 means that the sidewall (black part from the rim to the of the tire thread) of the tire is 60% of the width of the tire.
Doing the math 60% of 275 mm or 10.83 inches is 165 mm or 6.50 inches respectively.

Now looking at the tire from top to bottom, you have a sidewall, then rim, then another sidewall.

So that gives you 6.5 + 20 + 6.5 where 20 is the size of the rim.
That comes up to an even 33 inches give or take.

Applying the same logic to the factory tire: 265-65-18
65% of 265 = 172.25 mm or 6.78 inches of sidewall.
Adding that to 18 inch wheel gives you 2(6.7:cool: + 18 = 31.56 inches tall tire give or take a few hundredths of an inch depending on the tire manufacturer.

Hope that clears the air for you.

Dluvr22 said:
Ahh but I believe you have it wrong Montoya32.
275 is the measurement of the width of the tire in mm and is not the height at all.

To calculate the height you use the other numbers.

Example Tire size 275-60-20

This means the width of the tire is 275 mm or 10.83 inches wide
The 60 means that the sidewall (black part from the rim to the of the tire thread) of the tire is 60% of the width of the tire.
Doing the math 60% of 275 mm or 10.83 inches is 165 mm or 6.50 inches respectively.

Now looking at the tire from top to bottom, you have a sidewall, then rim, then another sidewall.

So that gives you 6.5 + 20 + 6.5 where 20 is the size of the rim.
That comes up to an even 33 inches give or take.

Applying the same logic to the factory tire: 265-65-18
65% of 265 = 172.25 mm or 6.78 inches of sidewall.
Adding that to 18 inch wheel gives you 2(6.7:cool: + 18 = 31.56 inches tall tire give or take a few hundredths of an inch depending on the tire manufacturer.

Hope that clears the air for you.

How can that be? My stock tires are 275/55/20 and the new tire is 305/55/20.

By your explanation I would be getting a wider tire, but not a taller tire.

305/55/20 tires are both wider and taller than 275/55/20.  The 55 tells you the sidewall is 55% of the tire width for both of these sizes.  Since 55% of 305 is more than 55% of 275 its got a taller sidewall and hence is a taller tire.

montoya32 said:
How can that be? My stock tires are 275/55/20 and the new tire is 305/55/20.

By your explanation I would be getting a wider tire, but not a taller tire.
In your example above the sidewall is 55% of the tread width. If you go with a wider tire it will be a little taller. Going from the 275 to a 305 is a difference of 30mm x 55% = 18mm x 2 sidewalls = 36mm taller in diameter :)

wyotonka said:
yup... I have a level and 33" BF Goodrich rugged terrain. Nothing too different in ride quality/highway travel. It has a little more body roll on corners but other than that I like it. Full lock with suspension flex I do get a little bit of rub on the back of the front fender.

very nice

whodeywhat said:
wyotonka what back spacing and off set are your wheels?
They've been on there a while, I don't remember off the top of my head. I can see if I can find the paperwork while I unpack my house.  :E:

I'm running 33x12.5 (305 55 r20) Toyo open country with a 2.25 level kit from ready lift. They are the perfect fit (in my humble opinion) They are flush with the fenders, but don't stick out too far. There was a fair bit of trimming involved. the shop took 7 hours to shoe horn them in there, but if you deal with a professional shop it looks clean. They do rub the sway bar at full crank ...

20150725_115308.jpg

20150724_202808.jpg

kylesltz said:
I'm running 33x12.5 (305 55 r20) Toyo open country with a 2.25 level kit from ready lift. They are the perfect fit (in my humble opinion) They are flush with the fenders, but don't stick out too far. There was a fair bit of trimming involved. the shop took 7 hours to shoe horn them in there, but if you deal with a professional shop it looks clean. They do rub the sway bar at full crank ...

20150725_115308.jpg

20150724_202808.jpg

Do you have pics of the  trimmed sections?

I also have the same leveling kit as kylesltz, and just ordered a set of new wheels and tires @ 285/70/17 = 32.7" ~ 33". I have an advantage of having an offroad bumper with a ton of space on the front, but I would need some trimming on the back side of the fender. 33" are totally doable without trimming if you keep your tire at 275 or 285. Mine are being trimmed only because the new wheel offset is 0mm vs the factory +31mm.

been reading through this thread and my wheel and tire specs are in my signature, but ive been wanting new tires for awhile and I like the look of a wider tire that barely sticks out the side of the fender maybe a 300-305 but im worried that ill have a terrible rubbing issue. ive been in the market for a leveling kit would that help the rubbing issue? thanks

Back