• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

z66's I'm looking at!

dorelse

Just to preface, I'm paying cash...don't want a car payment (I hate them)...so...if it costs me some maintenance...so be it...I have a 4 block commute, I'll manage.

Option 1:  (Unknown, closer to me)  $8000

733B9ECE-FBE4-4ABE-B243-61E1FD911FCA_2.jpg

http://www.creditapprovalautogroupinc.com/2004_Chevrolet_Avalanche_237139296.veh

Option 2:  (1 owner, full history, would have to be shipped to me)  $7500 + $499 'Processing Fee'  (ie Profit Center to push paper.)

d538560752254723a424a1f0dfb4a0e2.jpg

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?listingId=379845641&hideBackLink=true&Log=0

Option 3:  (2 owner, most history known, would have to be shipped)  $6400

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?listingId=381977152&hideBackLink=true&Log=0

78c4e80cc3b5434ba2b6cb66178908d8.jpg

I'm partial to the white one.  First, it has more options with the roof rack and center console.  The fact it's a one owner is even more important to me. 

You are braver than me.  I wouldn't buy anything I don't see in person unless I knew somebody who could check it out for me.  For example, we can't handle smoke so we want to sit inside to check for lingering smoke smells.  We also want to check for the dreaded paint bubbles because they don't show up on pictures.  I got wise and would ask before we made a trip but wanted to verify in person.

You can say it...its risky (and possibly stupid), and I know that.

If I were in the country, 4x4 would be necessary equipment...fact is I grew up driving 10 miles to town from the farm in a 70's 2WD F-150 in MN.  I'm sure I can handle 4 blocks to work in the city in a 2WD Avy with Traction Control.  (And I drive my son's Mustang on the really bad days...no traction control...now that's interesting!)

They do the whole liquid pre-treat here on the roads and we're never really without pavement for more than a day or 2...so having been through a total front diff rebuild and other associated bits to the tune of $3k...I'm going to still with the z66 for this one.

Will I have a day or 2 of regret?  Sure...I'll get over it.

Like I stated in my 2500 thread, I'm almost settled on the 02' Black z66.  There's a 2005 z71 that has just shown up on CL and not very far from me.

I'm thinking I may take a look at it.  Nicer interior (leather & center console), price is about right...just been burned by having to rebuild that front diff on 2 different Chevy's now... '02 Avy z71 & '05 Suburban...kind of over spending $3k on that each time.

dorelse said:
You can say it...its risky (and possibly stupid), and I know that.
Nah, I've heard of a lot of success stories.  I just don't trust that I'd make the right decision eight unseen.

Going with the Black 2002 z66.

At the end of the day, the cost/benefit of 4WD, again, for my needs and considering the high miles I'm looking at isn't worth another (probable) $3300 to fix.

I chose the 02 over the others simply because its had a full Chevy dealer inspection, with several items fixed, new Alt, Output shaft seal replaced...along with them having serviced the truck for the last several years.

Plus...I like the simpler climate controls, roof rack, and it was undercoated when new.  Now...about those seats, Katzkin time?  (I'll start a new thread on that when I get it home next week.)

Glad to be in the right truck again.  Whew!

Good choice.  Sounds like you know a lot of its history with the dealer having done the ongoing maintenance on it.  Welcome back to owner status.  (y)

Thanks...the plan is to lower it a bit, just a bit, gatorback the cladding black, 20's, and katzkin leather seats...but...we'll see when I get it home on Monday.

Good choice. It sounds as though you've thought it through to come to an informed decision.

Post pics as soon as you get it!  (y)

Thanks.  Just got back home (Des Moines) after picking up the Avy in Akron, OH.  700 miles, 11 hours.  No issues, cruises great, and honestly, (I know this has been discussed before) it rides better than my z71.  Could be the shocks of course...

Anyway, cruised 78 mph the entire way, and even got around Chicago without too much trouble (couldn't believe it), calculated my MPG at 17.8, and got from Elkhart, IN to Des Moines on 3/4 of a tank...very pleased with that.

It wasn't incident free, a turn signal (drivers side) popped off around Joilet, IL...it was wire tied on!  Didn't loose the light, I pulled over and took it off as the wiring loom kept it from falling to the ground.

And thus begins the undoing the PO's make shift fixes...I'm sure I'll find more.

Avy isn't perfect, I'll start another thread in the 1st Gen forum soon...I do think I made a good choice.

Congrats I know you will enjoy it.  (y)

dorelse said:
Thanks.  Just got back home (Des Moines) after picking up the Avy in Akron, OH.  700 miles, 11 hours.  No issues, cruises great, and honestly, (I know this has been discussed before) it rides better than my z71.  Could be the shocks of course...

Anyway, cruised 78 mph the entire way, and even got around Chicago without too much trouble (couldn't believe it), calculated my MPG at 17.8, and got from Elkhart, IN to Des Moines on 3/4 of a tank...very pleased with that.

It wasn't incident free, a turn signal (drivers side) popped off around Joilet, IL...it was wire tied on!  Didn't loose the light, I pulled over and took it off as the wiring loom kept it from falling to the ground.

And thus begins the undoing the PO's make shift fixes...I'm sure I'll find more.

Avy isn't perfect, I'll start another thread in the 1st Gen forum soon...I do think I made a good choice.

Hey now!!!!  :beating: Both of the turn signals in my old 02 were wire tied in  >:D I considered it a better fix than the factory plastic clips...  (y) Congrats on the z66. I hope you enjoy it  :B: :love:

Back