• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Underhood Fuse Block Damage

Maverick1974

SM 2007
I was working under the hood replacing the battery and discovered a mouse nest under the fuse block.  I lifted the block removed the nest and discovered damage on at least 12 of the wires.  The majority are just small bite marks thru the insulation leading from the fuses/relays that can probably be repaired with some heat shrink.

However there is a cable connector located in the bottom of the box, it appears to be related with the computer, as it just passes thru the box.  Several of those wires have small bites as well however one got chewed up very badly.  Does anyone have any idea what the color coding of those wires could be?  I am trying to figure out if that damage relates to any noticeable issues.

Truck seemed to run fine when I parked it last week, and I am sure the nest has been there a while, but may never of been fully occupied, as it was only grass and one shell.  Plus the badly chewed wire is clearly oxidized and not bright and shiny like it was done recently.

Take a picture if you can and I'll see if I can help.

I know the bad one is green with a white stripe.  I saw that and like two others right away but after I shop-vac the box out and poked around I found the others.  I figure all the damage is within the confines of the box.  If I do the repairs, I would have to look at every single wire in there for damage, it might take a while.

If you've got a lot of wires to look at / repair, I suggest you invest in a repair manual that includes electrical schematics that identify wire colors.

Not sure if I am gonna repair it myself, It does not look too bad, but I don't have all the proper tools or the diagrams.

I can get you a diagram but there a bunch of plugs under it just need to know which one you need.

The picture is not the greatest. Picture was too big and not the greatest, I will have to add it when I get on my other computer.

The black connector is attached to the bottom of the fuse block housing just to the left of the bolt, it is disconnected so I could get a better look.  It is a Y cable leading from the firewall side of the box splitting in the box with one connector inside the box and the other smaller connector outside the box towards the front of the truck.
It looks like there might be damage to wires on both sides of the large connector.  The major one being the green with white stripe (with the new copper brown coloring).

The white connector that is attached to the bottom does not appear to have damage except to the pink tape wrap around the wires.

And except for about 8-10 all the wires at the top leading out of the fuses/relays appear to be intact, and the ones damaged could probably be fixed with some heat shrink.

I was talking to a friend of mine, and he thinks the damage was done when I had the truck parked for a week at the beginning of Aug., I was nosed into some woods, I had to jump it to get it started.

Attachments

• wires.JPG
    wires.JPG
    81.9 KB · Views: 50
I have parked the truck for now, but need to get it on the road before the end of November for inspection.  Been tracking down where harnesses go, seems he got wires that tie into a big one.

I hope to take some better pictures over the weekend.

The good news is that the insurance company will pay to have it repaired.

Back