• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Backups say off and will not turn on

Sunburst07

This has happened to me twice now. I'll back up from the driveway, nothing behind me and it'll say that the Backup Assist Off. I can hit the button and no change. I never turn the system off so not sure why it does this. Its a rare occurrence so it's not a huge deal but i'm just wondering why it would do that.

It could be a sensor going bad. Next time is happens get is scanned for codes. The scanner you use must be able to read body codes i.e. Bxxxx

X2 on a sensor going bad.  I had to replace one of mine 3 years ago now.  Get it scanned and they can even tell you which one it is.  Prices vary on the sensors depending on which system they used in your Av, apparently there are 3 types and of course mine was the most expensive, $125 for one sensor.  Good luck.

Common problem is dirt/water gets into the connectors.

Lay on your back under the rear bumper and look behind it. You will see all 4 sensors and connections. Unclip, clean out, and re-clip them to see if that works first.

No tools needed!

Back