• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Rear =Brake Shoes - 1 or 2 clip points?

bchristian

Greetings all!
I`m doing some rear end work on my truck. I have a 2002 Z66 2WD 5.3. I`m replacing the rear rotors and shoes, axle seal and wheel bearings.
I haven't opened it up yet since shes my daily driver.
Do the rear shoes have 1 clip point or 2 clip points? Chevy says there are two types?
I`m going to open it all up later this week if I don't get an answer in a reasonable amount of time. But I figured the sooner the better!
Thanks,
Blain

I'm just about positive I read that the Z66 has the same rear brakes as the Z71. The difference, as I understand it, is that the base model trucks have a single-piston caliper. I can confirm that the Z71 has two-piston rear calipers as I just did a complete brake job about 3 weeks ago.

MyBigToy said:
I'm just about positive I read that the Z66 has the same rear brakes as the Z71. The difference, as I understand it, is that the base model trucks have a single-piston caliper. I can confirm that the Z71 has two-piston rear calipers as I just did a complete brake job about 3 weeks ago.

The Chevy Dealer asked me that. Is he referring to how many pistons are on the caliper????
I`m replacing the rear emergency brake shoes.. I`m not doing pads...
I thought maybe he was referring to the shoe clip points?

Looked up at Rock Auto. Looks like the RWD has 2 separate shoes with one clip per shoe for hold down to backing plate. The 4wd looks like a complete one shoe design.

raiderron said:
Looked up at Rock Auto. Looks like the RWD has 2 separate shoes with one clip per shoe for hold down to backing plate. The 4wd looks like a complete one shoe design.

Mines definitely a 2WD - and I have the rear drum off before and its definitely a single shoe... not two separate ones. But ill look at it today again to make 100% sure.
I had this same issue when buying brakes for her a while back. Brakes are off the Ava with 4x4....

I haven't ever looked at the parking brakes for a Z66.

If it's like the Z71, it's a single brake shoe. There is a single clip that screws in at the bottom of the backing plate that is used to hold the "center" of the brake shoe in place. The "open" end of the brake shoe goes at the top and rests on each side of the parking brake adjuster assembly (looks very similar to the star-wheel adjuster for a regular drum brake setup). Hope that helps you some.

MyBigToy said:
I haven't ever looked at the parking brakes for a Z66.

If it's like the Z71, it's a single brake shoe. There is a single clip that screws in at the bottom of the backing plate that is used to hold the "center" of the brake shoe in place. The "open" end of the brake shoe goes at the top and rests on each side of the parking brake adjuster assembly (looks very similar to the star-wheel adjuster for a regular drum brake setup). Hope that helps you some.

Yea, I just took my rotor off. Its a single shoe design. And I see the single clip that Chevy was talking about. I compared it to some diagrams I printed off. The portion of the shoes towards the front of the truck are worn down to the metal. The back of the shoe looks about 3 MM thick. Looks to have plenty of life. Any reason that the shoes would wear like that? Again, I have owned this truck for about 4 years and I HAVE NEVER USED THE E-BRAKE. Nor has it ever worked.

bchristian said:
Yea, I just took my rotor off. Its a single shoe design. And I see the single clip that Chevy was talking about. I compared it to some diagrams I printed off. The portion of the shoes towards the front of the truck are worn down to the metal. The back of the shoe looks about 3 MM thick. Looks to have plenty of life. Any reason that the shoes would wear like that? Again, I have owned this truck for about 4 years and I HAVE NEVER USED THE E-BRAKE. Nor has it ever worked.

I've owned my truck for 12+ years and mine was the same way, it's just not a very good design to begin with. I also never use my parking brake - it hasn't held the truck for at least 6 years. The pedal would just go to the floor. I never bothered to try to adjust it since I never use it. That said, since I was doing a complete brake job I replaced the shoes and adjusted them. They work great now.

bchristian said:

Since you have never set your park brake and don't know how long the shoe has been to the metal, it sounds like the brake was set at one time and the rig was driven and wore the shoe friction material down to the metal. Park brake that is just set to hold a rig should really hardly ever wear uneven like that over time if all works and is adjusted properly and not driven while set.

Back