• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

'03 Z66 able to tow a Chevy 1-ton Express van?

Michelangelo

2003 Chevy Avalanche 1500

I need to tow a 1999 Chevy Express 1-ton van from Vegas area to northern Utah. Looking at U-haul for a trailer and I entered the info and it says it is not recommended-so I can't rent from them.
Can someone please explain if my vehicle will handle this tow?

Looking at specs for my truck it says it should haul 7100 or 8100lbs depending on trailer axles? Or am I missing something?

Michelangelo said:
2003 Chevy Avalanche 1500

I need to tow a 1999 Chevy Express 1-ton van from Vegas area to northern Utah. Looking at U-haul for a trailer and I entered the info and it says it is not recommended-so I can't rent from them.
Can someone please explain if my vehicle will handle this tow?

Looking at specs for my truck it says it should haul 7100 or 8100lbs depending on trailer axles? Or am I missing something?

U Haul is very finicky about what they will let you tow, try looking at a local trailer sales/service /rental, you will find they are a little more lax with the requirements.
In short YES your Avy will pull the weight, but U Haul does not wanna be responsible for any mishap that may occur along the way.

If you are using a trailer to tow this vehicle you may be over weight with the weight of the trailer included...
Or may be over the weight of the trailer..

I had a problem when I needed to tow my Caprice because I didn't know what my tow rating on the hitch was. I made up a number that the system accepted.

You could try a tow dolly.

Rodney

It could be a number of reasons..

The van may weigh to much. I think those trailers are limited a little over 5000 lbs. How much does the van weigh?
When you put in your hitch, ball mount and ball info they may not be rated for the load..

Try upping the rating on the hitch components to see if it accepts it then you will know what you need to get to tow the load. It just may be you need a stronger ball mount or ball..

Good luck..

I've looked in the past at using a tow dolly to tow our 99 2500 suburban behind our 03 Z66 but it seems they (tow dollys) are only rated for vehicle weights up to 4000 pounds or so - whatever it was they aren't even close to the 5500 pounds or so that the suburban weighed and probably not for that van either.

I found some weights so you will have better idea of what you are towing.
http://autos.aol.com/cars-Chevrolet-Express-1999-Base__G3500_Extended_Cargo_Van/specs/

Thanks for all the help with this guys. I think I'm going to have to look for a shipper to bring the van up from AZ to Utah. I just don't think my little 1500 will be able to pull it.

It may pull it but you can expect extreme wear on the trans/drivetrain. Some of those big long hills/grades will really test those for how stout they are. That van will also catch a lot of wind.

I look at the UHaul web site, the trailer weighs 2210 lbs and the max you can put on it is 5,290 lbs 7500 lbs total and it looks like the 1 ton vans are just over 5300. Your 1500 will pull it but it will be maxed out, if you were just taking it a few hundred miles across flat terrain it would not be a big deal, if you've got any hills in the way probably not recommended..

Back