• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Puddle light activation

Sunburst07

i know the puddle lights come on when you unlock the doors but is there a way to make them come on when you open the doors? mine don't do this and i thought they were supposed to

Do the interior lights come on when you open the door.

Yep they do. That's kinda what i assumed triggered them but no dice. They still come on when i unlock the doors though. Maybe i have a setting wrong on the DIC

They are supposed to come on (at least on my 05) when you take the key out of the ignition, and it's dark out.  If it's too light out (or you parked under a street light), they won't kick on at all.

They only stay on for a few seconds (5 or 10 maybe), so if you take the key out of the ignition and sit in the AV for a bit, they will have shut off by the time you open the doors.

Looking at the 2007 owners manual they don't come on when you open the door.
The 2006 down had a option for perimeter lighting, the 2007 has a option for approach lighting.

ah ok good to know. i thought maybe there was a DIC setting. No big deal just seems like it makes sense that it'd come on when you open the doors too

Anyone have specifics of this mod for an '07? that would be awesome to have them come on with the domes as that could be handy

I'm sure someone can post a wiring diagram if there isn't one already on here, but in my 05, there's a wire that attaches to the puddle light that's orange with a black stripe.  If you tap into that wire and run it to the dome light, you can make your puddle lights come on at the same time.

If you pull the puddle light out of the socket, you might be able to see the color of the wires in your 07.

I was going to say tap into the door courtesy light but I guess the 07 up don't have them.

You would need to locate the puddle lamp wire coming out of the doors, cut them (or diode isolate) to isolate them from the rest of the circuit inside the BCM, from there you could run the wires to the BCM  under the dash and tie into the dome light circuit.

I found the colors on the 2013 BCM are as follows:

BCM X2 (connector #2)(from top of BCM) Pin #18 - Dark Blue/White - Courtesy Lamp supply voltage (interior dome lamps)

AS WITH ANY WIRING MODS, ALWAYS TEST WIRES WITH A VOLTMETER TO INSURE YOU HAVE THE PROPER WIRE AND OUTPUT BEFORE YOU CUT ANYTHING!!!!

If you aren't comfortable with this mod, talk to your local car audio/alarm guru to see if they can help.

i tinkered with the domes today with an LED under dash mod. i put 3-3mm white LED's under the dash on each side. I tested that blue wire on the BCM and when i tapped the positive in it turned the LED's off when the dome came on and back on when the domes went off. I then dropped the overhead dome assembly and tested the wires up the A-pillar Found the one that goes to 12v when you turn the domes on so now the LED's work like they should when the domes come on. I'm gonna get a dealer print off of the BCM wiring assembly or the door hookup....

Back