• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

TPMS PROBLEM

dponiki

??? :E:OK, HERE'S MY PROBLEM I HAVE A 2004 AVY AND IN ALL THE YEARS IVE HAD IT THE TPMS LIGHT HAS NEVER COME ON.  WELL THAT WAS UNTIL ABOUT A MONTH AGO AND NOW COMES ON EVERY TIME I START THE TRUCK.  CHECKED ALL TIRES - RUBBER STEMS, CORRECT TIRE PRESSURE, NO SIGNS OF ANYTHING WRONG WITH TIRES.  CONNECTED AUTEL TO TRUCK AND LOOKED FOR FAULTS, NONE FOUND IN ANY SYSTEM.  THE WHEELS ARE FROM A 07 TAHOE BUT HAVE CHANGED TIRES SINCE INSTALLING THE WHEELS.  I HAVE SCRATCHED BRAIN AND DON'T KNOW IF REPROGRAM OF MODULES IS THE ONLY FIX OR IF I NEED TO TRY SOMETHING ELSE.  THANKS IN ADVANCE.

No need to shout.

The TPMS have batteries that will wear out over time.

My new TPMS sensors from the local GM dealer in my 2004 all have metal stems.

I replaced mine when I bought the truck used and found someone before me had replaced all of the sensors with regular old rubber valve stems.

When I was at my tire shop for some other work, I asked the tech to check out why I had always gotten the message in the DIC.

He pointed to the rubber stems and said it was because I had no sensors installed.

He had seen that before on used cars that the previous owner did not want to spend the money to replace the battery-dead sensors.

Sorry about all caps work computer automatically does that. I thought that a dead battery is the problem but i have never had a tps problem.  and if all four batteries can go dead at the same time the wow.  I have a Discount Tire across the street from my shop and they said that yes i needed new sensors.  but when i told them of never having sensors from the beginning they were baffled also.

It would only take one with a dead battery to cause problems with the system.

When you relearn the sensors, you do all four at the same time.

The relearn procedure has been discussed here many times and is an easy, five minute task on our first gen trucks.

I've done it several times when I rotated my tires in the driveway.

I can easily see where all four would die fairly close to one another since all four were activated at roughly the same time years ago.

A good reason to always replace all of them at the same time so you are not chasing yourself around trying to figure out which one is the bad one, or two, ect.

I have heard that you can get a set much cheaper on eBay than what you will pay at the dealer.

I just got mine at the dealer and moved on.

It's been a couple of years now, but I seem to remember mine had a message in the DIC that read "Service Tire Monitor" or something like that.

No lights were flashing.

I think you may get more specific messages on second gen trucks.

Bad sensor somewhere. Like stated the batterys die overtime or they just go bad like any other sensor. I cant remember how to put it in learning mode. You put it in learning mode andhorn honks and then you go around and let air out all tires starting with driver front moving clockwise. Horn will honkbonn each and if it dosent on one tire thats the bad sensor. Atleast thats how it was done on a04 tahoe so should be same.

Back