• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

ABS module problems

Z-66Mike

Hey guys, I have an 02 Z66 and the other day the ABS pump starts running continuously whether the truck is on or off. After reading up on it I found out that the ABS control module is bad and ordered another from stockwiseauto.com. I installed it and the Pump quit running and the ABS light went off but now the "traction control off" light is on. On the site it said the Dorman 599-712 is the correct module for 2002 with traction control. I did notice the new module doesn't have as many pins on the biggest plug also. Does anyone know if this is the correct module for my truck?  I have been searching online but haven't found the correct one.  I've sent them an email but probably won't get a response until Monday.

Oh, btw, I drove it and tested the brakes. The ABS came on so that is working. I guess I'd rather have ABS than the traction control but the darn light is irritating.      :rolleyes:

Went to Rock Auto and found 599700 without traction control so I can only assume the one you have is with traction control and when I google 599-712 comes up with your application. Rock Auto did show AC Delco modules and a much greater price but the pics may help and if see the right one you can cross reference the part number elsewhere.

You really need to get the code for us.

I heard back from them and they said they checked with the supplier and it is the wrong one for my truck.  :E: 

Good they fessed up. As long as they replace it with the correct one no real harm done.

Yeah, they handeled it really well. The only problem is they don't have the replacement and don't know when or if they will get one.  I'm really not sure which one fits it. I get different part numbers from different places.

raiderron said:
Tonkin Online Parts. Saw it. Not at Rock Auto either.

Yep.  :rolleyes:  I have had the truck since it was new and have had great luck out of it until recently so I guess I can't complain.  :B:

I went to gm parts with no luck and then to ebay. Looks like they have modules at ebay. rebuilt but did not see the part #. Like 500 chances in the scroll. will be the last one on the scroll. might check it out.

Well, after much searching for the correct one and even taking the old one apart and checking the solder connections and the relay I decided to just use the new one without the traction control. The only replacement I could find that I knew was the same one was the $993 one and I don't think the traction control is worth the difference.  I think the traction control has hurt me more often than it has helped anyway. I've had to turn it off several times when I got stuck or the driveway was icy and the wheels would only spin very slowly. Lol

Oh, and I think the plug behind the "Traction Off" light "accidentally" fell out because the light is now off.   >:D  The ABS works great so I'm happy.

Done and Done. Happy driver and problem solved for lots less than $993. Did that thing have gold at the solder joints? Sheeeesh!

I'm really glad I went with the cheaper one. I ended up trading it for a 2014 Silverado LTZ the other day. I'm going to miss the Avalanche but I'm really liking the Silverado. The Avalanche was pretty much the basic one with only the Z66 package. The Silverado has more bells and whistles than I know what to do with. Lol

hello you guys, i dont mean to bring old stuff up. but the abs module on my truck keeps running even after truck is off, should i buy a new one or simply send it to these guys http://www.cheapabs.com/index.html i dont want to pay an expensive price for a new one and this seems like a route that might fix my problem, what do you guys think ?

Back