• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

A/C Problem

jdd81

Hello. I'm new to the club. I've seen lots of posts about what seems to be a common problem. My a/c will sometimes blow warm and it sounds like the compressor kicks off. It only stays off about 5-10 seconds. I just changed the low pressure switch as recommended by most. Also just had it serviced because the high side port was leaking. When it blows cold, IT BLOWS COLD! Another thing, it really only seems to do it right after it's cranked. Once I get down the road and come to a stop at a light or something, there's no problem. Any other ideas?

:welcome: to the club jdd81. It is normal for the compressor to cycle on and off. It is not normal for the hot to be mixed in with the cold. It would be best if you could get us some pressure readings when has a problem. By serviced what do you mean. Complete chronological order of this is helpful.

I've considered the cycling to be normal. But is it normal to cycle so soon after starting? I was always under the impression that it would run for a while, cool the truck, and them start cycling once it's reached the desired temp. But I'm by far no expert when it comes to auto ac systems. I wouldn't necessarily say the air is warm, per se, but just not cold.

I got the avy a few months ago. I love it! As for the ac, I noticed the ac was sometimes cooler and sometimes not as cool. I popped the hood to have a look. The cap to the high side port was missing and I could see a small bubble here and there. Similar to the bubble on a leaky valve stem from a tire. Anyway, took it to Firestone, they replaced the port and an orifice fitting. Evacuated and recharged the system. It worked really well 95% of the time. I read about the low pressure cycle switch and the symptoms seemed to fit. I replaced it last Friday and it does seem much much better. So now, so far, I have only noticed the cycling only after it was just cranked.

I have also read about the actuator doors. It's dual climate control so I'm going to feel the air from both sides to see if maybe only one side seems warmer.

I don't have the equipment to provide pressure readings from the service ports.

Well depending on where you are at in the U.S., feet above sea level, humidity in the air, the evacuation should be for quite some time to boil out the moisture in the system from being open and from having a leak. The moisture is boiled at vacuum and then sucked out during evac. The cycling will typically take place as the high side reaches a certain pressure, not necessarily the cool temp you stated. Ambient temp/humidity and flow across the condenser make a big difference. But nothing can replace known pressures so if you can please find a friend that can hook up and get us some pressures when you are having problems.

Ok makes sense. I'll see what I can find. Thanks for the help.

Back