• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Radio issues - Ground? Amp?

nunnallyj

Hi this is my first post and I hope you guys can help me. For about a year now I've been having radio problems. Most of the time I can barely hear the radio, almost like there is no amplification. Somedays (but rarely) I'll get in my truck and the radio will work normally until I kill it and start it again. There was even one time where I was driving and the radio fixed itself again until I turned it off. Has this happened to any one else? Any advice?

2007 LS

Thanks

Do you have the Bose speaker system

If you don't have the bose system you don't have a external amp, so it has to be the Radio itself.

If you have a bose system I believe it will say on the speaker grills in the doors and you likely have a center console?

Not sure on a 2007 but on the 2003-2006 I believe this is the case.

Rodney

I checked the speaker covers in the doors and there is not a brand name anywhere.  Another thing I noticed is that the "ding" (like when you leave your keys in the ignition and open your door) is also very faint when the radio is acting this way.  On the rare days that the radio is working the "ding" is also very audible.  I talked to a guy at O' Reilly's today and he said to check the ground wire.  Any more thoughts. 

Thanks again for all the help. 

If you haven't done any work to the truck I would make sure your Antennae is mounted properly and not loose. Also make sure every thing is solidly plugged into the back of your RADIO. If the factory ground is also still in tact it sounds like you have a bad radio assuming you don't have a BOSE sound system. Do you have a center console? If you do not have a center console then you definitely don't have a BOSE system.

Rodney

If you do not have a center console I believe you don't have a BOSE sound system...

So that being the case it goes back to checking that your wiring is all properly connected to the back of the radio and that your antennae is properly grounded (The mount is solid and not loose).

That being the case your radio likely has an issue.

Rodney

Back