• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Wiper motor question

kbrandt

Came home from the lake on Sunday and the skies opened up and poured on us. Usually not a big deal, but when I put the wipers on they went across at a snails pace a couple of times and then stopped in my direct line of sight. They eventually went back and forth again at the same speed and stopped at the bottom.  I read through some of the forums here, and was looking for a little input please. Is it my understanding that this would be fixed by replacing just the circuit board, or do I have to replace the whole motor assembly, which looks like a major pain in the a$$. Your input is much appreciated

No there is no circuit board on the 07 up, another member here is having the same issue.

http://chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php/topic,144435.msg2085727.html#msg2085727

A little bit of screwing around but I am sitting here having a beer now cause the job is done. Ends up the arms attached to the motor/transmission were seized at the bushings. No aftermarket parts in town so I had to go to the stealership and buy the arms and motor assembly all as 1 unit ($340). They don't sell it separately, so even if just your wiper motor calfs, you have to buy the whole thing.  Took me 2 hours including picking up parts, they wanted $375 to put it in. No comment!

Wow... I'm dealing with this exact issue today as well.

Mine is seized solid.  I bought a new motor and that didn't help.  Now I have a transmission/motor combo coming from a wrecked 2012 for $125. 

Did you figure out how to get the whole system in and out of the hole with an ease?  I cracked my windshield screwing around with this.

Once you have the cowl covering off (search "air inlet grille panel replacement if you already have not removed it) unplug the unit, undo  three  bolts holding assembly down, slide the whole thing towards the passenger side as the hole is wider in the middle, and tKe it out. The only thing I had a problem with was the retaining clip/pin in the middle of the cover beside the passenger side wiper arm. The rest went smooth as silk

Mine won't fit out of the hole.  I ended up having to remove the nut on the motor output shaft to get the clearance I needed.  Maybe the new one will work better.

Back