• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Speedo cluster Drive gear indicator light not working

Mike2005

I've got a 2005 LT.  North of 175,000 miles.  Like many, my vehicle was outside the GM replacement for the instrument cluster motor failure issue.  So a couple of years ago I had my cluster replaced by my local dealer.  About a year after the replacement (so again out of any warranty period) I noted the drive selection lights were occasionally dimming.  At other times, they were fine.  Now they are out. 

The trip odometers and any other information that comes across that screen is fine.  BUT I have no lighting for  P R N D L, etc.

I can live with this because I'm not spending another several hundred dollars on a new speedocluster. 

I've seen the online videos and have taken the cluster out, but I can't seem to see/find anything wrong.  I'm no electronic genius and compared to many on this forum, I am a mechanical nincompoop.  Basic stuff I can do, electronic troubleshooting?.forget it.

So any ideas would be appreciated. 

More than likely it's a bad solder joint.

Back