• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Anyone ever load a garden tractor into the bed of their Avy?

GT_80

I collect restore and sell Vintage Sears Garden tractors, and occasionally I need to haul them in my truck versus on my trailer (trailer has a busted axle right now). I was just wondering if anyone has loaded a large garden tractor in one of their avys before. I used to haul them in my 6.5 ft bed in my Sierra with no issues. I am just wondering if I should remove the gate to load it, and I know I will need to remove back window and lower midgate based on the length.

Anyone have any pictures? For reference, these are the tractors I'm Talking about:
IMG_0775.jpg

Loading from flat ground about the same size John Deere's roll on and fit just fine using a standard set of ramps with the grass cutter assembly removed to get clearance when cresting the ramps.

Alternately you can load and unload without removing the cutter assembly if you back onto a shallow end of an uphill driveway which puts the end of the tailgate closer to the pavement lowering the angle of the ramps.

Sometimes if I'm real lazy, I'll just back into the drainage swale so the tailgate rests on the grass to just roll it in without ramps and then crawl out in 4WD.

I just happened to look out the window of our break room at my office one day last summer and I spotted an EXT similar to mine (except mine doesn't have a huge dent in the rear fender) parked on our parking lot with a mower in the bed, so I snapped a quick picture.

You can see his ramps on the left side of the bed.

I have a utility trailer to haul my mower around with, but I thought it was good to know that I could get my mower up in the bed with some ramps if I needed to.

My mower does have a 46" mowing deck and a three bag grass catcher, so I will need to do some measuring before I commit.

Yep; 12 hp, 38" cut Weed Eater mower for the farm. I simply picked the front wheels up, set them on the end of the tailgate, picked up the rear of the mower, and rolled it into the bed (needless to say, the grass deflector was held up with a bungee cord). I kept the tailgate down and strapped the mower in; I have the metal tailgate straps so I don't have to worry about the cables breaking.

I put a MightyMule small vintage garden tractor in the back of mine to move it to storage, took tailgate off and picked it up & rolled in.

BTW I got two 1960s sears/db suburbans in the garage with almost every attachment they made for it.

maverick1974 said:
I put a MightyMule small vintage garden tractor in the back of mine to move it to storage, took tailgate off and picked it up & rolled in.

BTW I got two 1960s sears/db suburbans in the garage with almost every attachment they made for it.

I have 6 suburbans right now, and I am getting another one in a week or so- my trailer axle is broken so I have to load it in the AVY. Are you on MTF by chance?

Back