• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Z66 Shock absorber part numbers.

T-roy

Hi All, My 2003 Avy is due for replacement shocks on all 4 corners. I really liked the self leveling shocks that came with my Z66. Does anybody have the GM part numbers? I did a search & didn't find anything but it's been a while & my search skills are a bit rusty, better me than my truck!
Any aftermarket suggestions are welcome too.

Found this post from another member. Might help someone else doing a search. Sorry I didn't get his name.

"I have a 2003 Z66 with self-leveling shocks in the rear. They are not the Autoride shocks. I believe these shocks only came on the Z66 model, but maybe they'd fit any model.

The OEM replacement is the "Sachs mechanical self-leveling shock w/Nivomat". That's what they call it, so you can look it up that way. I got them at Partsgeek for $163.85 each. Part #W0133-1687865. They're also available through Amazon.

These things are really massive, shipping weight 23.5 lbs each.

The OEM front shocks are Bilsteins."

I have a Z66 as well...and since the Z66 is an ON-ROAD suspension package, it has different shocks than the non-Z66 Avs.
I have been wondering what shocks these were...but after trying to search the above info...I cannot find anything....so I, too, would like to know what else is out there for these Z66s.

Just placed an order for the rears.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000JWMML4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They better fit! :E:

I'm surprised how much digging I had to do. Still looking at front options. Not sure if you know but The Z66 springs are softer due to the self leveling shocks, if a regular shock is used the ride suffers. Or so I've read. Some Z66 owners replace the rear shocks & springs with a cheaper combo. The ride might suffer a bit, since I'm going to keep it till it dies I'll spend the money.
My truck used to ride like a Cadillac. I hope it's worth it (holy crap I spent 600+ on rear shocks!)  :needhug:
Ok, I really don't want a hug.

Let me know how it works once you get them installed.

You are right, those are pretty steep, but I am like you, I plan on keeping her until she dies, then I will bring her back to life and keep her even longer! lol

Man am I pissed. I tried for weeks to get something besides what the dealer wanted $400 each and every hit I got came back no longer stocked. Just bought some adjustables instead. I hate them.  (n)

Let us know how they work out so I can order them as well. Thanks for posting.

I couldn't believe the prices they wanted for those. You have to go aftermarket if you want retain the option.

The new shocks are installed. The ride is much better, I'm happy with it....but I don't know how to compare it with a new Z66, it's been too long.
Maybe buying new standard 2 wheel drive springs & shocks would have been cheaper?

Need to put a heavy load in the rear and see if the bed levels back up. I hauled a load of gravel with the aftermarket shocks and it looked like my truck was broken.  :p

T-roy said:
Just placed an order for the rears.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000JWMML4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They better fit! :E:

How is the ride? I'm ordering some as well.

Z66Modder said:
How is the ride? I'm ordering some as well.

Better late than never...I replaced just the shocks, ride was good. I should have replaced the springs at the same time. The  ride is getting worse, but still ok, gotta remember to order those springs.

How many miles on yours? I'm wondering when springs will be in my future, maybe next tax season?

I'm really enjoying the factory again. Great shocks!

I'm about 5K over that so maybe I should look into doing so.

I have 146K on my 2002 Z66 and no issues with ride... so I am not looking to change any part.

ygmn said:
I have 146K on my 2002 Z66 and no issues with ride... so I am not looking to change any part.

Mine was really bad on curve on a bumpy freeway, felt like it was going to bounce out of a lane.

I just found this because I'm looking for new shocks as well - I'm seeing an insane price range. On one hand there are shocks that are in the range of $50-100, and then I see shocks that are $400-600.

My truck is an 07 LTZ, with all the fancy air-ride computer-controlled whatevers.. I'm guessing I need the super-$$ shocks?

Is there that much of a difference? I see you guys talking about all the auto-leveling stuff.. I had assumed that worked via an air bag spring system; I can hear an air compressor going when I load up the bed and turn the truck on. Is that something I'll lose if I don't get the super-expensive shocks?

Sound like you have the factory air ride system. I would stick with that if I were you,

The ride is way harsher than a new F-150 I drove the other week, which makes me think my shocks are shot. Should I be only looking at OEM replacement parts? If the shocks are much more than $100 a wheel, it probably won't end up be worth it to me and I'll just tough out the ride until I end up getting a new truck.

The Avalanche Z66 rear shocks would adjust ride height hydraulic using the fluid inside the shock. You put a 600 lb thingy in the back, it goes down a couple inches, you drive a bit & the shocks expand back up to a normal ride height. No air pump was involved. Not sure what the LTZ needs.

Hi. I know this is an old thread but good threads never die. My question.
Does anyone know which FRONT shock ( name and parts number) came on a 04 Z66 with RPO ZW7, Premium Smooth Suspension?
Ive been told that a Monroe Reflex is a good substitute but i'd like to keep it stock. Thanks

I think this is what you're after for your 2004
Do you or anyone reading this have any experience with the GM shocks part number 89038595? They run about $10 more the Bilsteins and $25 more then Reflex. But for me, performance trumps price. If it's a better shock I'll buy it.
Thanks

Back