• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Vehicle Accident w/towing travel trailer

jmwsmith

PM 2023
SM 2022
PM 2020
PM 2014

Last weekend just when my wife took over driving we had a vehicle accident.  She had just crested a hill and was starting down at about 45mph when a gust of wind blew the 27 ft travel trailer across onto the on-coming lane.  Luckily no other traffic besides our lane.  The movement caused the vehicle combination to swing around 180 degrees, tip the trailer onto it's side, and this is how it ended.

Originally, Auto Insurance said the truck was totaled due to the rear frame being buckled in three spots.  You can see how the receiver hitch has been bent outwards by the photos. Total damage was about 14k with them saying my truck was only valued at about 16k.  Later in the day, they were able to find out that GM/Chevrolet has a repair set for the frame and will be able to repair it for about 8k.

The 2014 (one month old for us) travel trailer didn't fair so well.  It's repair exceeds 30k and is totaled.  No injuries to anyone and the truck just drives great. (sorry about the photo, can't figure out how to get it to be oriented correctly).

Yikes glad you guys are OK, trailers can be a handful

Holy smokes, that's crazy.  I'm glad nobody got hurt and you were able to get your Avy fixed.

I think this one should be moved to Stories at Pete Place.

Glad you're Ok, Same thing happened to me with a week old 2011 27ft TT.

Attachments

• 100_0122.jpg
    100_0122.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 415
I would be concerned with the weight of the trailer with the 07 up. A 27 footer is a butt load of weight.

Thomcat said:
Move up to a '12 or '13 with come with an integral trailer anti sway feature.

Its not anti-sway, just integrated brake controller.  In the picture of the hitch you can see the sway control on top.

Glad everyone is ok in this accident and that your Av can be repaired.  It is the best color in my opinion.  Would love to have a Dmax 2500 SOM like Alaska AV.

MS03 2500 said:
I would be concerned with the weight of the trailer with the 07 up. A 27 footer is a butt load of weight.

Not just weight but also the 130" wheelbase of the Avalanche might be a little too short for a 27 footer, that's a lot of surface area for the wind to act on. A longer wheelbase helps keep the truck going straight when the crosswinds are pushing the trailer around. I don't see people mentioning wheelbase when they talk about towing but it seems just as important. I am glad to hear no one was hurt, this is scary stuff.

Towing something that long, IMO, needs at least a dually rear end on a crew cab and full length bed set up for added stability. That is quite a handful for your AV. I would also like to see something that long have a 3 axle set up instead of a 2 axle like your trailer with brakes at each axle. I am so glad to hear all came out of it all right but man you got a story for the campfire now! So how do the seats look???????????????

I've done longer trailers than 27 feet, but it takes E-rated tires, huge swaybars front and rear and a few suspensions mods So the tail does not wag the dog.

A big boxie trailer can be a handful, AirStreams aren't as bad.

I pull a 33 foot TT and have never had any issues with sway. I have never seen one that long with out weight distribution though. I wonder if that played a role at all?

Attachments

• IMG_20130510_175259_174 (Small).jpg
    IMG_20130510_175259_174 (Small).jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 378
Looking at the picture I think it had a WD hitch.

MS03 2500 said:
Looking at the picture I think it had a WD hitch.

Your correct. You can make out a sliver of one and I guess the other fell out..

I really can't understand how this happened.  Granted, I wasn't driving and she has this attitude of:  "Oh if he could drive it then I could too" but I thought what would I have done?  Perhaps activated the trailer brakes manually, or increased my speed somewhat to see if it pulled out of the back and forth swaying. It wasn't due to any excess weight, nor did we even come close to exceeding any limits on the hitch or in the rear. I guess we'll just have to say "stuff happens" I suppose.

It's hard to say was it her first time driving it while towing.

jmwsmith said:
I really can't understand how this happened.  Granted, I wasn't driving and she has this attitude of:  "Oh if he could drive it then I could too" but I thought what would I have done?  Perhaps activated the trailer brakes manually, or increased my speed somewhat to see if it pulled out of the back and forth swaying. It wasn't due to any excess weight, nor did we even come close to exceeding any limits on the hitch or in the rear. I guess we'll just have to say "stuff happens" I suppose.
I tried to keep mine on the road and in the end it was what it was, I had a weight distribution and sway system on mine that cost a grand it didn't stop it, I look at it this way, It was the universe in control. Sappy but true.  You both made it with out harm and that is the important thing to remember.  R.    (y) 

The most I have pulled with my 2009 is a 20ft enclosed double axle trailer that we used when we moved our furniture to our new house last november. thing was absolutely full to the top with stuff- filing cabinets, couches, chairs, etc, etc, etc. Put her in tow haul and the engine didnt have any problems at all. The 3.08 definitely showed though. Sure wish it was at a 3.42 or 3.73
but overall she pulled well even with the lift and stock hitch. was probably at the limit though

Even with a weight distribution hitch and anti-sway bar setup you can have sway if you are not loaded correctly.

I used to pull vehicles on my 1,800 lb flat bed trailer with my caprice. the trailer is rated for 7,000 lbs. Would be similar with the Av pulling.

It is all about weight distribution. Too much on the tongue will squat the truck and pull weight off the front end. Not enough on the tongue will cause the trailer to "wag". With a car on the trailer it becomes very obvious if the car is too far forward or back. A bit harder with a camper. With a camper you may have to fill the water tanks or make sure they are not filled to insure the proper weight distribution. One of my coworkers only transports his camper with the water tanks full and all other tanks empty. Told me the camper will sway dangerously in any other configuration.

You should be trying to maintain as close to a good weight distribution on the camper/trailer as possible. This may take some trial and error at first until you are used to it. And yes having a brake you can manually apply really does help. I couldn't tell you how many times I had to apply that brake on my caprice when towing a car. Then had to move the towed car forward or backward until I got it right.

Sorry to see the accidents.. That sucks.

Hey I understand what you are saying hitches like a Hensley will lock the trailer to your vehicle so if you get a hard side breeze whereever the trailer goes you will too. Now my brake controller has a button that you can apply the trailer brakes manually, but you have to use it quick before things get too bad.

Please don't think a AV stock hitch is strong enough for a weight distribution it ain't and will flex badly. My hitch setup rated for 17,000 and I don't have airbags

I have no problem towing my current camper and it doesn't have weight dist. and don't really need anti sway and it is only two feet shorter than the one I lost.  weight distribution is key but not fool proof by any means. I'm not proud that I lost a new camper and truck and think about it all the time when I tow bob cats and other heavy equipment and have never experienced the sway I did that day nor do I ever want to again. Wind is wind, you see tractor trailers tipping over in hi winds so there is no sure way to say " I towed this and that and never had any problems"  You're lucky and I hope you never have to.  R.

I will never tow a travel trailer over 20' long without a WD/sway hitch setup. I've tried once without and even having a semi trailer pass you in the fast lane is enough air pressure change to start pulling your trailer into their lane.

Sorry to see the damage and flip-over pictures, that is tough to swallow and I hope I am never in that situation.

Do what you can to be safe.

Back