• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Windshield Wipers slowly quit on me

JohnnieMo

SM 2017
PM 2014
SM 2013
In the past week my wipers started to noticeably slow down. My first assumption was the heat. However now they have quit entirely even when it's raining.

I'm heading out on a family vacation towing my boat and am looking for advice on how to fix. I searched the site with no luck. I expect it needs a new motor.

Not sure on the 2nd gens but on the first there's a module that includes the motor and electronics that gets replaced.  Not too bad of a job.

Does sound like a motor that slows and dies after it heats up. Then takes forever to regen so to speak and may work again.

Well good news and bad news, 08s do not have the circuit board now the really bad news you have to replace the entire wiper arm module No# 5 in the diagram. I'm guessing you could drill out the rivets that holds it on and just replace the motor. I would check the plug for corrosion.

Attachments

• 08wiper.gif
    08wiper.gif
    6.3 KB · Views: 124
The wipers ever so slowly stopped working.  They still sorta work, but only for a spurt, then they get stuck at various places on the windshield.  As of now, they pretty much are immobile.  There were no strange noises.

I think I can get by with RainX for a bit here, and hopefully replace it after my vacation.  The good news is that when towing the boat I don't skip many gas stations, so I have lots of opportunity to scrub off bugs :)

Where is the best place to get parts for this?

Any chance someone can get me the part number on that wiper arm module?  I'm going to be in California this week and I'd like to buy it somewhere cheap down there.  Shipping to Canada is always a killer. 

Where's a good place to pick up a part like this?

Part number is 25923882.  I called the dealership.  They want $239 for it. 

Again, are there any shops I could just pick this up from in California?  I'd rather not wait 2 weeks.

That part number is only for the motor. Picked it up at OReilly's for $70. Let's hope it works as I'm a long way from home if it needs to be returned.

I pulled it all apart tonight. Turns out the linkage is seized. The motor is fine. I tried some liquid wrench and nothing helped. I could hit it with a hammer and it would barely budge.

I guess I need a new linkage. For nw I'm running without any wiper assembly!  Makes no sense why it would seize up so solid and so quickly.

Is anything bent or any very small pieces of junk in there causing it to bind.  It doesn't look like a rust issue from what I can see in the picture.

I'm absolutely perplexed.  There is no rust.  It's showing some age, but nothing severe.  There are two posts on either end which twist the blades.  Neither one will turn at all.  Something has to be binding, but I can't tell.  My plan is to try and find a used one on a junk yard vehicle.  I've never done this before, so I don't even know where to look.  Generally in Canada when a vehicle is less than 10 years old, they don't do to junk yards - they are parted out by middle men and sold.  I have to find those middle men.

Oh and for the record, the motor mounts with 3 torx screws and a bolt on the output shaft, and then it is easily swapped out.  The hard part is getting it out from under the window.  I actually cracked my windshield getting angry at it.  To remove the motor, I suggest removing the bolt on the motor output shaft first, then you have enough play to squeak it out. 

From your description it sounds like the bearings/bushings around those posts are seized. The wipers on my '08 were running slower than usual when I traded it in on a warm showery day this past June. If you get a used linkage it will probably do the same thing sooner than later.

I found one from a 2012 Avy to replace it with.

While I do agree that if it happened on one it may happen on another, but then how come I am the only person on this forum with this problem?  I've never heard of a linkage (or they call it a transmission) failing before.

I should have it fixed tonight. 

You are not the only one.

http://chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php/topic,144652.0.html

So I got the swap done.  For the life of me I couldn't figure out how why the old one seized up.  The new one moves like butter.  I added in some lubricant to keep it going for a long time.  I recommend everyone shoot some lubricant in to theirs.  Just stick a nozzle along the shaft of the wiper.... that's all it would take.  Just like a door hinge really... needs maintenance.

Anyways, here is the process for anyone daring enough to try.  This was the most frustrating repair I've ever made.  Should take you an hour... (my current multiplier is 4, so it took me 4 hours)

1) Remove the Wiper Blades.  Pop of the nut cover with a screw driver.  Then remove the 15mm bolt from each wiper

2) Disconnect the washer line.  It pulls off from the plastic air vent.  Just pull... its supposed to come off that way.

3) Remove the outer plastic grille covers (around the antenna and the other side).  They just pop out.

4) Remove the air vent / grille insert thingy.  It has 2 7mm screws on each side (4 total), plus two clips along the leading edge.  They just pull off with a pair of plyers.  Then there is a single push pin in the center.  Just tug it out.  I set my vent up above the hood.  It seemed to be the easiest place to hide it since the water line is still attached.

5) Remove the motor / transmission assembly.  (Note: The transmission (or linkage) is the moving metal arms.... odd name but that is what they call it).  To remove, there is a single electrical connector and 3 12mm bolts.  This got difficult for me because mine was seized solid.  You need it to move a bit to wiggle it out.  I ended up cracking my windshield in a fit of rage.  Don't do this.  You can remove the nut on the bottom of the motor and that helps.  I think it is a 13mm.  Flip it around to get access.

6) Move the motor from the first linkage to the second.  Or if your motor is fried, buy a new one.  I got one from O-Reillys for $70.  To swap, there are 3 torx screws, plus the aforementioned 13mm nut.

Here are the two side by side.  The top one is the old one.  

7) Now you've got to get the whole thing back in here.  It is really difficult.  However do-able when the arms can move.  Leave the nut on the motor loose for now as you need to calibrate it.

:cool: Once you get the assembly back in the hole you MUST set the arms to the proper location.  Given that the truck always defaults to position zero (down), the motor must be set to zero.  Zero has the arm coming off the output shaft pointing directly at the radio antenna.  Play with it and you'll see what I mean.  Close counts here.  When you get it set, tighten it down with that 13mm wrench.  I added some loctite too.

9) Re-insert the 3 bolts to hold down the assembly and attach the connector.  Give it a test run.

Here is a video of what it should look like:

10) Put the plastic vent grille thingy back on.  Same as before.  Plug in the water lines.

11) Re-install the wiper arms at the base (zero) position.  Give it another test run.  If it works right, fasten down the 15mm nuts.  Cover the nuts with the plastic covers.

12) Re-install the outer plastic pieces.

Done!

Great to have found this post! I'm doing mine tomorrow too... Thanks JohnnieMo, Maybe it's our Calgary road salt?

I still have no idea what did this. No trouble since.

If you need a new motor, let me know. I have a spare. I bought the linkage at Forest Lawn Auto Parts.

Your instructions were great. Got it all apart, and this seems to be a chronic problem for GM trucks here? I'll have to wait until tomorrow to get the part from either Forest Lawn, or from Southgate around the corner. I'm leaning towards new as I'm concerned that local trucks may have the same corrosion issues?

What is the service to these parts to maintain them?

Hit it with WD40 every month or two?

GM only sells the part with the motor for over $300. When I called it was on sale...???? Not sure why they have sales on windshield wiper transmissions.

As for keeping it going, mine was from a 2012 Avalanche and was in great shape. WD40 is okay. I used oil. I find WD40 will gunk up on you over time. Just my personal opinion.

Where exactly do you squirt the oil into? Do I need to remove the wiper arms or do I just drip it right around the crevice of the attachment point?

Just spray all over the shaft at the base of the wiper. There's nothing in there you can hurt and plenty you can help. WD40 or penetrating oil is your best bet.

Back