• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

drivers folding mirror sometimes doesn't fold

sandiego21

Ive searched the forum and noticed there is a lot of info on these mirrors but couldn't find the problem Im having. My drivers door mirror sometimes does not fold all the way..kinda stops 1/2 way. I than open it and than it will fold all the way. But other times it will work on its first time.
Could this be the motor, gears...or maybe something needs to be greased?  thanks for any help.

So does passenger side work OK when this happens.

Only the drivers side is effected..the passenger side is ok.  No, I have not tried the silicone since I've been thinking the worse that its the gears inside. I do not hear any crunching or noise from the motor/gears also.

The service manual does not give any info on the mirrors they consider them unserviceable, AKA if it does not work replace it.

Attachments

• dl3.GIF
    dl3.GIF
    49.2 KB · Views: 26
took raiderron's suggestion and sprayed silicone in the mirror pivot areas...and now can't get the mirror to stop 1/2 way...i'll keep all posted but looks good at this point!  thanks for the suggestion raiderron!!!

Sometimes on older vehicles the movement gets gummed up from debris buildup from sitting out in areas where there is, for lack of a better term, crap in the air and it just builds up. Here in Oregon if you live near the lumber mills there is wood debris in the air that really clogs up the air filters quickly. My lube suggestion was just a quick cheap attempt at allowing the motor and gears to work easier. I hope it stays that way.  (y)

Back