• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Rookie camper puller - is it a good idea to pull it?

thirstbuster

I have a 2008 Z71 4x4 5.3 4spd with 4.10 gears with Z82 HD trailering equipment (factory).  Per GM, my GCWR is 14,000 lbs, and the GVW is 3,269 (I can check this at the weight scales this week).

Reading the FAQ on here, I should be able to pull 14000*.75= 10500 max, less vehicle weight = 7231#.

I am considering a 2006 Starfcraft 2500RKS.  Here are the manufacturer specs:

GVWR 7100
GVW 4883
Dry Hitch 555
Dry Axl 4328
Length 26'11
Wide track tandem straight axles w/4-wheel electric brakes.

So.. from what I gather on this site so far, and please correct me if I'm wrong, is that I could pull this trailer lightly loaded with a weight distribution hitch?  Do I need a brake controller or trans cooler?  Or am I just out to lunch and not understanding... and shouldn't pull this at all?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Your GVW is closer to 6000 lbs for a 1500 AV.. You will be pretty much hitting your max with a 7200 lb trailer but it will do it just might have to work a little harder on the hills.

I would definitely add or up-size your trans cooler and use a brake controller to help and for safety to help with the braking...

The weight of your truck is around 6000lbs plus gear.  

You can tow that but it will be right near your limit once you add people and gear.  I'd suggest a weight distribution hitch with sway control, plus a transmission cooler if you are going any great distance.  

I think the key is to load your trailer with weight distribution in mind.  Take care of the tongue weight.  Hook it up with the WD hitch.  Then drive it slowly and with a good brake controller.  Take it easy and learn the trailer.  In time you may want to add helper air bags to the back springs, and I'd think a transmission cooler if you are hauling more than a few hundred miles.  

GM rates it at 14,000lbs for a reason.  I think people are a little too quick to add safety margin after safety margin.  Trust GM on the number.  Your insurance company does.

If you are planning to tow in the mountains, I think you'll be unhappy.  I added a supercharger for that reason, but it was a bit of overkill.

So, found a little smaller trailer.  Here are the specs

http://www.keystonerv.com/previous-years?brand=Cougar%20XLite&year=2008
2008 29bhs

Shipping weight 6150, carry capacity 1650.

I know this is a little harder on it.. I'm looking at maybe a 500 mi trip each way.  Might do it two days each direction if I have to.

Am I going to blow my truck up?  If I need a controller or trans cooler - can you guys recommend a brand?

Thanks all - makes this much easier for me.  I am looking at light trailers, but by the time they get listed online they are sold within hours... I can hardly believe it!

It won't blow up.  The transmission heat may eventually kill your tranny, but it won't happen immediately.  Monitor the temps.  I'd say if it gets over 220 get a cooler before your next trip.

The truck is designed not to destroy itself.  Just take it easy.  The only way you'll break it is doing really aggressive maneuvers. 

It's more likely you'll get tired of dogging it and buy a supercharger :)

Haha at $140 Cdn a fill up, I don't think I'll want a supercharger or be in too much of a hurry.  I have no hills, but the wind here is fierce.Good to know the temp the trans should be at - I can keep an eye on that.  The heat here doesn't often get above about 86F, so that is probably on my side.

$3.36 for regular, $3.56 for 93 octane premium at our local Sam's Club last night.

Wow... only 29 cents more for premium! here in Calgary it's a 12 to 17 cent surcharge for premium, and that is per liter!

Price here is a low for a long weekend at $1.14/L Regular.

It's usually more of a premium for premium than $0.20 per gallon here, it's usually more like $0.30 - $0.40.

But that's why I stopped at Sam's last night - the vette was needing a fillup of premium and I knew Sam's was the place to go for premium at a good price.

JohnnieMo said:
Price here is a low for a long weekend at $1.14/L Regular.

Regular... $132.9 ($5.02 gal)
Premium... $148.9 ($5.63 gal)  :E:

Good thing I'm only 10 minutes from the border!!!  (y)

to the original question - any tranny cooler will do. I added a stock GM one for the 2500 series trucks. 140K miles and no issues.  I also have a Tekonsha Voyager e-brake controller. I have no opinion either way on that.

Back