• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Very annoying problem ~~ "Park assist blocked see owner's manual" ~~ help!!

zswessler

Every time I put my avy in reverse my backup sensors beep uncontrollably and I get a message on my dash saying "park assist blocked, see owner's manual."

It is extremely annoying.  :E: :E: :E: Anyone else experienced this problem?  :help:

I leave my trailer hitch in all the time (trailer hitches have saved my bumper on numerous occasions over the years so I won't take mine out). :D :D :D

I remember reading something a while back about trailer hitches maybe interfering with the back up sensors, but surely chevy would have accounted for trailer hitches..

Anybody got any suggestions on how to stop this from happening? I don't want to take my trailer hitch out and I don't want to turn off my back up sensors.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated..  (y)

Thanks

ZSW

:B: :B: :B: :B: :B: :B: :B: :B: :B: :B: :B: :B: :B:

4S9Go54.jpg

Does it stop if you take the hitch out?

How long has it been doing this?

Check to make sure the sensors are not covered with dirt and that the connector to each sensor is seated properly, no broken wires, etc.

is your hitch reversed to gain height like mine? If so, the sensors are seeing it. A regular hitch with a 1 or 2 inch drop works fine with the sensors.

MLM said:
Does it stop if you take the hitch out?

How long has it been doing this?

Check to make sure the sensors are not covered with dirt and that the connector to each sensor is seated properly, no broken wires, etc.

Thanks for your reply..

It has been doing it for a few months now. I tried cleaning the sensors before I posted so it isn't that.. However, it is a possibility that one or more of the sensors aren't seated properly...

I forgot to mention that it also randomly does it when driving down the road.

Yep, the story of the problem should always be in chronological order with anything, and I mean anything, related shared for best help results.  (y)

If you have a hitch in that is your problem.  Chevy hasn't ever fixed this issue.  Mine does this all the time as well but I have a hitch in all the time in the summer.  When I take my hitch out for the winter because I am not towing the boat anymore it never does it.  What drives me the craziest is when I have the boat hooked up and it is in tow haul mode and it tells me it is blocked.  No sh*t it is blocked I have a damn boat attached to my truck!!!!  I feel like this feature should be disabled when you have the trailer plugged in to the 7 pin connector deal. 

Those sensors will drive you nuts.......on the shortest hole in the hitch the 2" chrome Bully step bar will set mine off 50 % of the time.......the 1-1/4 with 2" adapter black version of the Bully step, never.......the difference once installed being 1/4" shorter. So there is a critical distance in length where it will detect something in the hitch. When I had the chrome one, I could temporarily get rid of the alarm by flexing the urethane bumper cover containing the sensors upward, once the set returns it alarms again. The Avy sensors in the bumper are in a bad position relative to the trailer hitch, not so with the GMC trucks where the height of the sensors is not close to the height of the hitch.

Reversing the ball when not in use might help and still provide some protection of the rear bumper.

Thomcat said:
Those sensors will drive you nuts.......on the shortest hole in the hitch the 2" chrome Bully step bar will set mine off 50 % of the time.......the 1-1/4 with 2" adapter black version of the Bully step, never.......the difference once installed being 1/4" shorter. So there is a critical distance in length where it will detect something in the hitch. When I had the chrome one, I could temporarily get rid of the alarm by flexing the urethane bumper cover containing the sensors upward, once the set returns it alarms again. The Avy sensors in the bumper are in a bad position relative to the trailer hitch, not so with the GMC trucks where the height of the sensors is not close to the height of the hitch.

Reversing the ball when not in use might help and still provide some protection of the rear bumper.

You can say that again  :cool:

... just driving down the road and outta nowhere the alarm will go off and say that I need to read my manual.. 

:E: :E: :E:

It is driving me completely bonkers...

I'm going to try reversing the hitch and see what happens. Thanks, Thomcat!

(y) (y) (y) (y) (y) (y) (y)

Yeah i have a similar problem.

I have a large 12,000 lbs rated hitch on there most of the time. the back up sensors "see" the hitch as if im about to hit something. Now this is not an issue with my 4" drop hitch with 2" ball. I know that if i take the hitch off and drive a bit , the park assist resets and the message goes away (had to look that one up in the manual). Its just part of it.

I have just gotten into the routine of putting on my set belt and hitting the ODO/trip button on the dash to make the message go away. 

Prism said:
Yeah i have a similar problem.

I have a large 12,000 lbs rated hitch on there most of the time. the back up sensors "see" the hitch as if im about to hit something. Now this is not an issue with my 4" drop hitch with 2" ball. I know that if i take the hitch off and drive a bit , the park assist resets and the message goes away (had to look that one up in the manual). Its just part of it.

I have just gotten into the routine of putting on my set belt and hitting the ODO/trip button on the dash to make the message go away. 

I do the exact same thing, but I'd like to know how to get rid of the problem. I enjoyed the back up sensor's beeping feature and I no longer have that..

Back