• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Looking to buy an '07

DanZman

Hey guys, I'm a born and raised Chevy guy and I currently drive a C6Z. I am looking into getting something a little more parctical for a daily and I have always love the Avalanche. I even convinced one of my friends to buy one!

The one I'm looking at is an '07 with about 125k mi on it. Is there anything in particular I should look at or be concerned about? I am looking to keep it for about 4 more years and to around 200k. what can I expect?

Any info is really appreciated.

Check for a cracked dash. Lots of threads on here about that particular problem. There is also some threads about oil usage but someone will chime in with more details.

Search the repair history if possible. (get the vin and check for warranty work done thru GM dealer)
The 07 and early 08 had problems with oil consumption due to AFM.
The fix was a redesigned valve cover and internal PCV valve as well as a modified baffle to redistribute oil during AFM usage.

On a side note be aware that 07-08 models came in Sunburst Orange Metallic (56, 913L, WA913L Sunburst Orange II Metallic)
and only the 09 came in Inferno Orange (28, 502Q, GCR, WA502Q Inferno Orange Metallic)

I think the early (05-06) C6 was available with Sunset Orange then later models (07+) were Atomic Orange.
(Just in case you were trying to match up all the ponies in the stable!!!)  (y)

Thats great info, I'll see if the dealer has a history for that work being performed under warranty.

You are correct about the Vette colors.

and mine is Atomic Orange.  Here is a pic of it with my friends AV (that I convinced him to buy)

Beautiful ride Zman!!

The repairs from AFM oiling issues can go beyond the basics that I told you about to dealers replacing valvetrain components and in worse case, replacing pistons and rings.

Also LS (base) and LT have a "normal" suspension, while the top line LTZ comes with AutoRide which consists of a compressor, rear air shocks to self level and adjust ride firmness. The front struts are MagneRide and adjust firmness by aligning magnetic particles suspended in the fluid.

Compressor failure is normal above 100k miles, and cheap to fix. Front struts and Rear Shocks can be pricey to replace, BUT the ride comfort and towing ability in my opinion is worth it.
If you plan to lift or lower your Avy the Autoride can be more of a detriment than beneficial.

I've had my 07 for a couple of years now ( also 120k miles ) and basically its been reliable with only minor problems, cracked dash is very very common not just 07's but every year onwards from there too, some glue, bits of cardboard to support center section from flapping and a dashmat to cover if the cosmetics really bother you, very minor problem.

I personally dont have any oil consumption at all but have heard that it happens, most of my driving is short commuting with some freeway use so I do jump in and out of AFM regularly.. like I said never had a problem, my TPMS sensors all just died recently ( purely battery age related ) check out my posts for a cheap fix.

A solid vehicle, gas mileage isnt too bad ( i'm averaging around 16 mpg ) should easily make it to 200k

Only thing thats really irritating is it does attract a fair bit of unwanted attention 2 attempted thefts parking lot dents that kind of thing but so would any half way decent vehicle..

My advise, go for it, the risk is low of picking up a lemon..

SS

Back