• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Adding a trailer with a winch/external battery

howardj

I am going to be pulling a 16 foot landscape trailer with a winch system on board the trailer. I do not know if I should consider changing the wire to the plug on the truck for something heavier. Has anyone done anything like this? Should I also consider upgrading the alternator?

Best to find the amp draw on the winch. I have an onboard bike lift powered by a 4000lb capacity winch. I ran new cables right to my battery for it. It came with a quick disconnect pigtail for both ends at the connection point.

I run a 10,000 winch off 2 of my Avalanches. I have power at the Front and rear.

Don't run a winch off the trailer plug wiring, unless you have a battery on the trailer that gets charged by the truck. Even then id be wary.

I ran 2guage off an amp fuse on the battery, to the rear bumper and used grey 100 amp connectors to link the trailer. I grab a ground at the frame.

on my 1500 I have  duel batts and 145 amp alt

Back