• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

2003 with 202,020 miles clicking....

truman3

Hey guys, not sure about this and thought I would start with the pros.

Note: I had the A/C belt replaced last week...

On the way home from work a couple days ago I heard a loud "clicking" sound and noticed it stronger when revving to shift gears... Loud, clicking like cards in bike spokes.

After I got home I opened the hood and looked... no noise unless on the gas. I put it in neutral and revved, got the noise. Turned off the A/C and no noise. So its something with the compressor/clutch/tensioner... Right?

So I am rolling no A/C in Houston heat but plan on getting this done ASAP! Just too busy with work right now and only 8 miles in and 8 miles out.

Thanks!

Truman

Sounds like what you are hearing is the a/c clutch breaking down or the internal valves in the compressor coming apart. If it hasn't done it already, the internal valving can send debris throughout the a/c system and clog passages. You will need a flush of the system when you replace the compressor, accumulator and expansion valve.

I have the same "issue" with my 2003 Avalanche.  I was told it was a tensioner but I'm not sure if I trust the guy too much.  I threw two belts last year because of it and this year I am turning off my AC on hard acceleration.  Might not be the best way to handle it, but I only use the AC a few times over the summer and I think it's worth saving the few hundred I was quoted.  It hasn't caused me any problems since early last year so it works for me.  If not, sounds like a pretty simple fix if the mechanic was right. 

It in fact could be the a/c belt tensioner. the AC Delco part number is #38159 for $35.79 at Rock Auto. I also had some belt and chattering noises and I replaced both belts with Goodyear Gatorback belts and both the belt tensioners and the 6 groove serp belt idler and all noises are gone.

Back