• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Electrical Problemo's in the Cab

thesecondletter

Hello there fellow AV owners, I have a bit of an issue that has disable my beloved truck.

Backstory:
I walked out to my 2005 AV and disarmed my (aftermarket) Viper alarm system. Lights flashed, doors unlocked, all was merry. I stuck the key in the ignition and twisted and nothing happened. No starter turn, no click, no nothing. I had to scurry off to work so I hopped in my old beater and spent the next 8 hours of my day working really hard at looking busy. When I returned home, I poked around to see if there were any obviously blown fuses; nope. I did notice that the positive battery terminal was a pinch lose (likely from an alternator replacement done about 3 weeks ago), so I tightened it up, and viola! The ignition worked again... kinda.

Currently:
The AV still sits parked, because as soon as the ignition turns back from "Start" to "On", the engine dies (as if it has no gas, yet there is half a tank). There is zero power to all 4 doors, and I mean ZERO. No power windows, no power door locks, no mirrors, no heated seats, pedal adjustment, not even the speakers will power up, and there is no recognition that the door is open (no illumination). The ignition does not seem to recognize that the key has been removed either, as the steering wheel does not lock, and the RAP appears to remain engaged (stereo will stay on if powered up).

So far:
I did lots of forum surfing, and based on the symptoms my research seemed to indicated that my BCM failed. So I ordered and installed a new one. Same problems persisted, only now the traction control system is throwing a warning (disabled). In the midst of the fun, I took the drained battery to get charged, and ended up getting a new one because it went bad (thank you warranty company!). The problem has not gotten better, and tonight I'm going to put the old BCM back in, and send the new one back to the manufacturer.

Help:
I thought I had this thing tackled with the BCM, but it would appear not (except in the incredibly slim chance that I got a second bad BCM - not out of the question, but highly unlikely). I'm not sure where to start looking, and I really can't afford to fork over the money to have it towed to a repair shop. Is there a bank of fuses I should look at? Or any particular wiring area that I should check for continuity? The electrical issue seems completely random impacting doors and ignition, and nothing else that I can identify at the moment. Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
BW

:welcome: thesecondletter to the club. I tend to think it is the ignition switch but likely someone on here has came across something close to this and will know what to check. I have seen ignition switches do strange things as they start to go out, like having a series of things be bad and then having something new pop up like you did with the traction control system throwing a warning. Then something new at a later date or just seems to all work ok for a period of time. 

I had a similar event happen in my silverado. It would start, but as soon as you let the key turn back, it shut off. I don't recall any other symptoms. At the time, a friend worked at the GMC dealer down the street, he checked with the service manager, came over with the OBD scanner/tuner and came up with 4 different issues that could have been causing it. One was something with a relay relating to the starting sequence, a faulty BCM, lack of proper grounding from BCM, and ignition switch.
We started with the cheapest, checking grounds, no luck
Next up, ignition switch. Bingo, problem solved.
If I remember correctly, that was around 70kmi. I drove it to 168k mi. before trading it in and never had a problem again.

I have an OBDII diagnostic tool, but the DIC is not throwing any codes. After reading a few posts, ignition switch may be the way to go...

Any other thoughts out there?

Still say ignition switch, as before. Second story backs that up from Calicak89 but I would still have it checked before just replacing the switch but if you want to cross fingers and throw parts then I lean toward the ignition switch.

Good morning fellow AV'ers! Well, let me rephrase that... Semi-good morning.

Last night I put the old BCM back in the truck. This morning I was convinced that the issue was related to the AV's security system (based in extensive YouTube'ing and Google'ing) so I dismantled the top of the steering column, and lo and behold, the little wiring harnesses right on top of the ignition cylinder had a little play from side to side. I shimmed it to hold it steady and prepared to conduct the ignition re-learn process. I turn the ignition, and BOOM! She started right up.

Apparently the failed battery caused my problems. Go figure. Just a friendly reminder to fix one thing at a time, I suppose.

After all that, now my driver side AC is blowing hot, while the passenger side is briskly cold. Onto the next project!

Thanks for all you help!

Back