• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

SLP dual tip assembly - Resonator delete... Excellent!

Alwaysnosing

I wanted to pop up a little review of the SLP stainless dual tips that require you to delete the rear resonator...

I have a 2007 Chevy Avalanche LT and love it, owned it since it was 1 year old... It's a daily driver and family vehicle so as with all things designated as such its full of strollers, pacifiers and the like. Well i've been wanting to do some things to it lately so i've restored the rear panels and covers and clayed the exterior, but wanted to add an exhaust system. I didn't want it to be too loud but love the look and reviews on the Corsa Sport etc... but with the price as well as the additional noise and having 3 little ones in the back all the time I opted for a half way house to begin with and add the SLP tips.

I bought them from JEGS and had them delivered... I then looked around online at videos and the like and felt more than comfortable doing it myself. I didn't have a sawzall or similar so went to town with my trusty angle grinder and cutting disc! I'm not going to lie, getting the rear cut was a pain, made even more difficult due to the fact i couldn't get my spare wheel out! However, we cut through cleanly and installed the SLP replacement pipes and twin tips.

The quality of the finish is excellent for the price, I was thoroughly impressed at the ease of the install once the old resonator had been removed, it was slip and slide then tighten!

The sound upgrade at first was minimal, but as the pipes have settled in the sound has grown a little and outside the truck on start up it has a great V8 sound, but subtle enough not to be in your face. You cannot tell much of a difference in the cab, but outside its a nice upgrade and the look of the stainless tips is just awesome. The next step is to replace the original muffler with a flow master but at this point i am very happy with the results. A very worthwhile $95 spent.

So for anyone else on the fence about doing an entire exhaust or custom system, this is a great upgrade in my opinion to both the looks of the truck and the overall sound.

I'll take some pictures later

I was one of those "on the fence" guys, but after your review I'll probably do it (after I finish the drop).

BTW, I'd recommend either a Dynomax or Magnaflow over the Slowmaster.  Not only do they not flow as much as they are loud, but after the initial excitement, most people I know get tired of them.  And a lot of times you end up with a resonance drone at cruise.

Here's a couple of pics:

Thanks for the heads up on the flowmaster, i'll look into the magna flow options, i was just  trying to keep the relative costs down. At the moment, the truck is a truck and as such I'm not looking for outright performance, but a little more manly power is always good ;)

If you look at the following pic with annotations i'll explain a little more:

If you look at the cut off point, that is the required distance from the hanger. However, the instructions give you a distance from the original hanging bracket mount, the problem is that this is a vertical mount and the pipe its attached to is angled. This means that you get 2 completely different measurements depending on whether you measure from the bottom of the bracket or the top. I measured both and went somewhere in-between! IF you get the cut clean without much distortion of the material, you have a good amount of wiggle room to slide the pipe either further in or further out.

The heat shield is held on by 2 easy access bolts, i removed it for easy access. I then would've loved to have removed the spare but i couldn't get the wind down mechanism to disengage so i struggled through! One word of note, if using an angle grinder and the spare is in the way, you can still get almost all the way around with a cutting disc, however, be careful on the right side of the exhaust as there are brake lines fairly close and you do not want to nick one of those while cutting!

If i could've got the wheel out of the way i reckon the swap would've been able to be completed in 30mins or so. With it in place it took a good 90 mins! lol

As i said earlier, i like to do lots of research on products before i buy them, but the quality on this part/s is exceptional. The price can't be beat in my opinion.

Bigtrucklover said:
BTW, I'd recommend either a Dynomax or Magnaflow over the Slowmaster.  Not only do they not flow as much as they are loud, but after the initial excitement, most people I know get tired of them.  And a lot of times you end up with a resonance drone at cruise.

I'm on my second Flowmaster 70 in my 03, and we have a Flowmaster 50 in our 02.  We're pretty happy with them.  (y)  No resonance in either one.  One of the gate guards where I work tells me he likes the sound of the 70 more than the 50...

Alwaysnosing said:
If you look at the cut off point, that is the required distance from the hanger. However, the instructions give you a distance from the original hanging bracket mount, the problem is that this is a vertical mount and the pipe its attached to is angled. This means that you get 2 completely different measurements depending on whether you measure from the bottom of the bracket or the top. I measured both and went somewhere in-between! IF you get the cut clean without much distortion of the material, you have a good amount of wiggle room to slide the pipe either further in or further out.

So if you were doing it again, would you have gone with the top, bottom or averaged measurement?

Was the space issue with the tire related to using an angle grinder, or just in general?  I planned to use a reciprocating saw.

I was very happy with the middle measurement, the angle grinder cut the metal very well with almost no distortion, the only time the metal distorted was when i twisted it to break the last few mm's of join i couldn't get to with the grinder. There is quite a lot of margin for error due to the respective pipe lengths to get the tips sitting right where they need to be.

If you were using a reciprocating saw you should have no issues, my issues stemmed from the fact i was using a 4.5 inch cutting disc that only gave me a couple of inches clearance either side. if i had a big cutting wheel or reciprocating saw it would've taken 5 mins to cut through. You may not even need to remove the heat shield if doing it that way, but you will have to check the clearance.

The SLP tip is a nice piece. It was one of the first things I did on my 08 and have been very happy with it. I just added a Flowmaster super 50 SUV, same muffler I have used for years but for some reason on this truck it seems much louder. Not annoying and no drone in the cab but just a bit more than my old ears like. Im considering swapping to the 70 series but concerned it may be too quiet.

So to be clear, the sound level increase is minimal, just a deeper tone? I'd like it to sound throatier but need to appease the spousal unit who's rather particular about loudness.

In my opinion you can hear the difference when outside, it sounds like a nice throaty burble, gives a great sporty impression! But inside the cab you cannot tell the difference. It is a great mod for when you have kids, it improves the look with the stainless tips, gives you the sound improvement you want but doesn't sacrifice any OEM in cab noise.

funnily enough did that today and yes its noticable... in fact I think i can notice more noise in the cab at all times now but thats probably all in my head I cant see how the volume would increase over time ?? must just be me  ???

Sorry for the delay.... incab I cannot tell the difference, there maybe a slight extra burble when under load going up a steep incline, but this mod is perfect for those that have a wife who isn't too pleased with excessive modding / noise in the kids chariot! haha....

I still think this is the best $for$ mod you can do for appearance and external sound upgrade without killing your incab experience. I've never driven with the midget down... i will try it!

Hey guys!
fairly new to the club, but a long time AV owner and I just wanted to throw my hat and two cents in.  I just purchased an 09 Z71 Summit White with 39k in September after trading in my 04 Z71 with 198k (original owner and HAPPY about it)
Anyway, I was looking for some inexpensive mods for this and found the SLP tip at Jegs. COULD NOT BE MORE HAPPY with this! It took me all of 45 minutes to install and I even tucked it in just a little . The sound is awesome and no noise in cabin whatsoever . I am a big fan of riding around in the summer with Back seats down and window out and I have still found minimal noise. I am looking into a few other "inexpensive mods" and would love an opinion or two...... sorry for getting off topic a little, 
1)Flowmaster 50 or 70 ? (not looking for super loud, just a little more noticeable with the tip )
2) K&N air Filter or CAI or None?
3)Slotted or Cross drilled Rotors and pads kit?
4) Has anyone Plasti dipped their Sail Panels?

I have first-gen AVs but here are my thoughts on your questions:

1) I've got a FM 50 on our 02 and a FM 70 on our 03.  Not too much difference in loudness - a bit different tone.  One of the gate guards at work has told me he likes the sound of the 03 better.  The 03 also has JBA shorty headers but I don't think they change the sound that much.

2)  I've done and would do in your case a K&N filter.  I'm not sure how much a different intake tube helps in the newer trucks but I'm sure a K&N would help.

3) Slotted or cross-drilled rotors.  Boy that subject is a can of worms.  I prefer cross-drilled for a couple of reasons.  First I think they look cooler.  Second from what I've read they are effective in keeping the brakes cooler.  Third the negatives I've read about them cracking are from race conditions at extreme brake temperatures.  I don't ever plan on working my brakes that hard for a road-race length of time with pads designed to work best when really hot.  I need my brakes to work well and not fade with brake pads designed to work when cold so the slots help to keep the pads working where they work best.  I've got slotted front rotors on my 03, our used vette came to us with slotted and drilled. 

4) Yes - do a search for lots of info on that.

Thanks so much for getting back to me right away!
Here in NJ, the temps get very cold and I'm not sure if that would affect the CAI?
Also, Do you know roughly about  what it should cost for a FM70 installed ?

As for the plasti dip, I have been reading good and bad but it's a little too steep for my budget to paint .
Thanks again for the help and advice!

If you have any simple mechanical skills, you can get a FM70 for around $135 and install it yourself for nothing! Simple mod and worth it!

Cost me less than $300 to buy and have installed my FM70.  That was several years ago and labor may be higher in NJ than IN.

Do you know if the FM 70  853072 (stainless version) is a direct fit or would I need some adapters?

I called Meineke in NJ and the guy told me $200 to install  :beating:.......  NOT ! 
I was a mechanic for years and have no problem doing it myself  but I am older now and wanted to have it welded in place as well as save myself from crawling under the truck but thats a little steep for just a friggin muffler install especially when I am buying the part. 

I didn't get the stainless version so I can't tell you for sure but I know the install guy did some tube bending and basically replaced everything from the y-pipe back.

Maybe the $200 install cost was due to them not making a profit on selling the muffler?
It may be comparing apples to oranges but down here in Va. they charge about $50-$75 to install a full Corsa Cat back system (And remove old factory system) and it takes 30 -45 minutes, no welding needed though.

Maybe I will grab the  muffler and drive to VA !

I just found another place I am gonna bring it to this weekend that said it should be no more than $150 with any bending or adding pipe so it looks like I may be going that route. As soon as it's done I will add a sound clip. I'm interested to see the difference in sound with both the FM70 & SLP Dual tip!!

Back