• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Intermittent passlock II issue. Dies or wont start at times.

Copndaddy

Well, I have a weird issue to diagnose.  I have an 02 K2500 Av.  I bought it used only about 6 months ago or so.  It has some type of intermittent issue that causes her to kill the engine.  Sometimes she wont start here or there.  More often she will just die while running.  This only occurs if she has been started and stopped several times during the day.  Such as when running errands (honey-do's for those who are hitched).  If I have to start my Av 3-4 times a day, there is a good chance that during that 4th or 5th start or so, she will die while running.  It makes no difference whether or not she is in park and just idling, or whether or not your driving down the freeway.  The engine just dies.  sometimes you can simply put her back in neutral and start her up while still rolling.  othertimes you hafta pull over and play a lil game with the computer.  I found that if I turn the ignition off, then back to the on position (w/o starting) and let her set for a minute or two, she will start back up.  This behavior will continue throughout the day once it starts.  If its a day I am working, and only have to start her one time to get to work, then one time after work to get home, there is never an issue.  This only occurs when I am starting and stopping her numerous times throughout the day.  I am assuming it has an issue with the Passlock II 'kill mechanism'.  I have tried to reset the passlock with negative results.  The previous owner had some type of alarm system installed given the fact he left the old 'quick connects' attached to several of the wires which would be used for an alarm system.  I am assuming this somehow effected the passlock system, but at the same time, I need it corrected.  So, ANY advice would be appreciated.  I have no idea whether or not the dealer can simply erase and re-boot the system or not.  I have an i-tune I can reprogram all the my systems if needed.  And yes, this issue occurred before I installed the i-tune system.  Thanx in advance guys.

EDITED!! These are for the 02 2500
If the remnants of wiring are from a remote start and not an alarm I may have some hope for you. In the mess of wires running up the column there should be 3 wires YELLOW, ORANGE/BLACK, RED/WHITE

Check these wires to make sure that they are intact / untouched / and not cut and respliced. Remote starters need to bypass the system by adding relays and resistors to simulate the key. If it was cut and just twisted back together, the added resistance can really create a lot of headaches. Worth a quick check under the dash. Hope it helps, and it ends up a quick fix.

Ya may want to look at these post.

http://chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php/topic,4815.0.html

http://chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php/topic,110979.0.html

http://chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php/topic,39437.0.html

http://chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php/topic,93037.0.html

Do a search "02 2500 crankshaft"

I have read a bit more about the issue on here.  Mostly of what was posted above with the hyperlinks.  Thank you.  Some seem to believe it may be a CPS issue (crank positioning sensor).  At only about $80 plus a relatively easy install, I can say I may be replacing mine shortly.  The only question I would have about this comes from a simple layman's view.  How in God's creation does a sensor fail ONLY after several starts and stops during the day...and it NEVER fails during the first or second start of the day?  I just cant figure it out.  My Av acts almost like the Passlock II system believes someone is stealing the truck, but again, ONLY DURING CERTAIN TIMES.  And apparently, I am not alone in this venture.  Others have had 'similar' issues with their Av.  So, if in fact the CPS can fail only after several starts during the day, and can obviously reset itself after sitting for a few minutes, then by Gosh im going to replace it.  I just wish I could 'understand' HOW/WHY such a device can fail 'intermittently' and only after numerous starts throughout the day and how does it reset itself?  its a mechanical device, vs. the on-board computer.  Im just saying.  Thanx guys,  But before I do anything else I'm gonna check the wiring in the column to make SURE it hasnt been spliced or tampered with.

I was at a GM seminar once for training and I asked the speaker about things like this that you are experiencing and are  :E: about. Curiouser and Curiouser. His exact words were this......

PURE F_ _ _ ING MAGIC and he was serious. Anything mechanical or electrical can be good one minute and bad the next and then good again.

I hear ya.....things that guys like me will never completely understand... and just hafta accept the fact that S_ _T Happens....  At any rate.  On a side note, what type of scan tool is needed to complete the re-learn procedure?  Can my DiabloSport 'in-tune' perform this trick?  or do you need a specific OBII scanner to do this?  Oh, and how come Chevy recalled their 2001 trucks for this exact same issue, but not there 2002 Av's?  that just aint right.  Otherwise I would simply have my dealer fix it for free....

I dunno....since NONE of the Avs were listed on the recall.....it looks like everything else was... Silverado, Sierra, Yukon, Suburban, almost all the large SUV's/Trucks with the exception of the Avalanche...  Im gonna call my local dealer manana and see what they have to say about the situation... you never know until you try.  Semper Fi (y)

They did not recall the 02s even though they have the same parts, I understand they fixed it in the 03 model.

Just another idea call your dealer and tell them your problem and you understand that there is a recall on it. It's a long shot since it's 12 years old

ya....they really didnt care much.  And quoted me a full hour labor to just re-flash the computer....$105 for 5 minutes work.  go figure.

Back