• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Fuse Pull Performance Mod

Bigtrucklover

So supposedly on late model Camaros, filling up with premium and pulling a fuse resets the ECU to read the high octane table and gain a bunch of power.  I was thinking of trying premium to see if it would affect gas mileage, but horsepower would be a nice bonus.  Anyone try this on a late model AVY?  Would the fuses be the same?  Not sure exactly what these two fuses are for (assume one is for the ECU, but the other???).

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=173269&page=2

I have never pulled any fuses to reset the ECM, but after being disappointed the first few times filling up with 94 octane and putting my programmer to Performance mode, I decided to try and get it to relearn the curve faster by removing the ground from the battery.

It actually worked! I could feel a noticeable difference the next day.
Pretty much the same as the Camaro trick, but I'm not sure which fuses would give the same result on the Avy.

IF gain in MPG; is it enough to cover the Extras cost of high octane fuel?

doubt it as the truck willreleanr and go back to its old ways thinking it has low octane fuel...

krazycarguy said:
You would be better off disconnecting the battery like Karl said.

According to the Camaro site, disconnecting the negative didn't work, you have to pull the fuses. Not sure why that would be, but I figured check to see if the truck guys have the same experience.  Plus I'd like not to have to reset everything.

ygmn said:
IF gain in MPG; is it enough to cover the Extras cost of high octane fuel?

doubt it as the truck willreleanr and go back to its old ways thinking it has low octane fuel...

Truck should only relearn if it detects low octane again and starts blending the tables.  I would continue to put in whatever fuel give the lowest $/mile.  Whether it pays for itself depends on the MPG improvement versus cost differential.  I was thinking start with premium as proof of concept, and if MPG improved, then try mid-grade. With 89 I would only need a 1MPG average improvement for it to pay for itself.  Kind of counter intuitive paying more up front, but a plus in the total picture.  If premium gives the best $/mile, I'd go with that instead. The performance gain would be an added benefit.

The BD I believe has 9.9 SCR, so there could be some merit there could be a benefit (again, maybe not for premium, but mid-grade). Earlier engines are 9.5 so maybe less probably that higher octane might improve things.

Back