• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Upgrading factory CD player?

1lastcast

2004 z71 with factory DVD. I'd like to know if it's possible to upgrade my CD player and still have the functionality of the DVD system on the roof? Looking to have a unit installed in the dash that would give me backup camera and iphone controls.

Anyone have any input? Recommend a player?

Sure it's possible you could add a external 6 CD player that goes in the console. Look for the backup camera adapter and Iphone adapter over at www.pac-audio.com

From research on my stereo, I can tell you that if you replace the stock unit, your factory dvd will still work. HOWEVER... The sound from it will only work on the wireless headphones.

If you are replacing the head unit with a DVD capable unit, I've read of some people running RCA cables from an output on the head unit to the aux inputs on the factory dvd. This allows video and sound to go through the stereo.

Yeah it all depends on what you want to do, factory or aftermarket.

Thanks guys for your help.

I basically want the full functionality of my stock DVD player. Or at best id like to at least still be able to use it.

I'm guessing after market would be cheaper? I don't care for playing cds. I'd like to upgrade the factory in dash player to use my currant backup camera and iphone/Bluetooth for music and such.

Thinking something like this: Pioneer 6.1" In-Dash Double DIN Multimedia Car Deck (AVH-200BT)

Back