• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Keyless remote won't unlock the doors!

Michelangelo

2003 Z66.

A few weeks ago I went out to unlock the truck with my remote and it wouldn't unlock. I tried both mine and wive's remotes and neither will unlock but both WILL lock it remotely. The power locks will work using the manual lock/unlock button on the doors.

Any ideas?
(Note: a few months back I had a Right Rear Passenger Door Ajar warning that I could get to go away. It's still on and I can't figure out how to get it off, so I just ignore it. Wonder if that sensor could be part of the issue?)

You may have already answered your own question.

My truck doors will not lock until all of the doors are closed.

With any door open, you can press the lock button on the fob, but you only get a little chirp or tone (I forget which).

Moments after the last door is closed, all of the doors will lock.

Handy if one of your passengers is a little slower than the rest getting out of the truck.

You don't have to stand there and wait for them to close the door.

Your truck is seeing one of the doors as being open.

Fix that and you should be good to go.

(y)

Just re-read and saw you were talking about UNLOCKING, not LOCKING.

I need to never post before the coffee kicks in.

My bad.

I would still get that problem with the Door Ajar thing fixed and that might have something to do with this.

Good luck!

Ok so when I was having the Door Ajar problem I never had any problems with the remote locking or unlocking.

Either way, something weird happened last night and I no longer have the Door Ajar message. I was trying to reset the remote by doing the: hold the door lock button down and turning ignition off and on. I never got the combination correct to reset the remote according to the online directions but in messing around but at least I no longer have the Door Ajar problem message. I found I can now lock with the remote and all the doors lock and I get the headlights feedback telling me they are locked. Unfortunately the doors still won't unlock with the remote.

Can you unlock them using the button on the door.

OK lets see if we can get you thru the relearn procedure.

Which door did you try  the reset on.

Drivers door.Here is what I did:

1. Stuck key in ignition (did not turn to ON position).
2. Pushed and held UNLOCK butt on on drivers door.
3. Quick turned key to ON-OFF, ON-OFF.
4. Stopped pushing the UNLOCK button.
5. Pressed and held remote UNLOCK-LOCK buttons for 30 seconds (I did not get any feedback from car or car locks. nothing.)

6. So I let go of remote and turned ignition to ON and then I heard the doors lock and unlock.

Then once I got out of the car I noticed I could lock the doors with the remote and there was no DOOR AJAR message.

Not the driver door the receiver and module for the remote is in the passenger door.

A little thing the owner manual doesn't tell ya.

Yes if I remember right

I've still no luck getting my car remotes to reprogram. As a matter of fact I've got an On and Off again problem with the Door Ajar message and the no unlocking ability with my remote. It seems to come and go at will. One week (I don't drive the truck but a few times a week for short distance), I'll have Door Ajar and the unlock with remote won't work. Then it'll start working and the Door Ajar will go away. One week Door Ajar will be on but I can't unlock with remote. There seems to be no rhyme or reason to it.

Matter of fact, I tried to start my car today and it had no power, or so it seemed; this despite me not having left any lights on or any reason for it to drain. I charge it up and have full power to everything and all I get is a click, click when I turn the ignition. I'm at my wits end.

Back