• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Towing cross country

diamondsandwook

I'm new here so I hope I'm posting in the right place,  I have an 08 ltz and am moving from chicago back to houston.  I was wondering if I can tow my other car the 20 hours without damaging the avalanche and what I need to get (trans coolers,pans etc). The car weighs about 4000# but I don't have a trailer yet

Hi  :welcome: I would suggest the trans cooler and if you're not on a budget get the larger capacity pan also. Remember heat is your enemy !!!

You should check to see if you don't already have a remote trans cooler on your rig, you may already have one. If you tow the vehicle with it loaded on a full size trailer then you have the vehicle and the trailer weight to contend with. If you tow it with one of those single axle drive on rigs then would be way lighter. If your other vehicle is a FWD only then you have a non drive axle free spinning set of rear wheels that can be on the ground. What kind of vehicle is the second car? If you don't have a remote trans cooler then add one and you can be ready for the very hot and humid climates in Houston. Probably a little warmer there than in Chicago and likely more humid.   :welcome: to the club diamondsandwook

A flatbed auto trailer weighs about 2,200 lbs. You shouldn't tow more than 5,000 lbs. without a weight distributing hitch.

That being said, I towed 5,300 lbs. (car and trailer) from Florida to New Hampshire in springtime without a WD hitch and without the aux cooler in an '04 Z71 with the 4.10 axle, no issues. Just driver and no cargo, 23 hours over two days. If you are just going one way all interstate you might be OK, the route from Chicago to Texas is not mountainous, keep an eye on the trans temp. But more than 5,500 lbs. I think is pushing the limit without a WD hitch.

Back