• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Who has removed their cats?

montoya32

Curious if anyone has kept the stock headers, removed the cats and gone with a cat back exhaust? What did you find as far as MPGs and performance? Any negative effects? I know about needing to disable the rear O2 sensor.

Against the law.
you will get a check engine light since cat is not there and 02 sensors will know.
your gas mileage will get worse..

all in all there is no reason in any of todays cars to even think og removing the cats.
They do more good then any harm.

You can disable the rear O2 to not get the check engine light. I am wondering if anyone has removed them and what the results have been.

have dynatech long tube headers and high flow cats. have all 02's turned off (HP Tuner)
On my AV did not do this for improve MPG just HP & torque. :B:

Unless your cat is damaged,I strongly suggest leaving it alone. Modern Cats are more efficient and less restrictive than the cats from the 1980's. Like others have posted it is illegal, and in some states you wont pass inspection. Unless you are running your engine wide open all the time, the amount of back pressure caused by your cat will not matter that much.

Besides, keeps our air a little bit cleaner

Back