• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Stereo Replacement Questions

McClutchiin

I'm looking at replacing the head unit on my '05 AV. It has factory Bose system in it and sounds great. I was looking into all the double din units. I don't want to sacrifice sound quality tho. Does anyone know the wattage of the factory head unit or does the head unit run to a Bose speaker amp somewhere. I like the way things sound so I would like to get a head unit that puts out similar/same wattage so that I don't throw off the speakers. Any suggestions or info would be appreciated.  :help:

They do not publish the specs on a factory headunit.

Your Bose amp is in your center console below the storage box.

Go with the headunit you like just make sure it's compatible with the bose system.

Also use adapters for the install Pac audio has them www.pac-audio.com

Thanks, I didn't know that there is an amp that the headunit runs to. I've done a good amount of stereo work before so I'm assuming that the wattage of the new unit shouldn't make too much a difference since it runs to an amp before going out to the speakers.

I'm guessing the factory headunit is around 25 watts.

The bose amp is a dumb amp which means it does not control volume it just amplifies whatever sound it gets.

Thank you, that actually helps a lot. I had the same kind of speaker amp in my last car. But around 25 watts is what I was thinking to

Back