• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Another horse trailer weight question......

dbr549

PM 2020
I've been reading a lot of posts on towing and I'm still not sure about this one.

I'm looking at purchasing a used 2 horse bumper pull trailer with a dressing room and electric brakes. I've been told the trailer weighs 3470 lbs and the tongue weight 650 lbs. With 2 horses at appox. 1100 pound and a couple hundred pounds of equipment- I'm looking at about 6000 lbs total trailer weight. I have a 2005 4x4 Avalanche , factory tow package (5000 lb trailer rating with 600 lb tongue) and the 3.42 axle ratio. I'll most likely be hauling in the Missouri & Arkansas Ozarks. Majority of the time- within 2 hr. drive....some up to 4 hrs.

I've read I should only haul 75% of the 7000 lb maximum or 5250 pounds. This trailer would put me over that for sure. I've read to ditch the factory hitch for a class IV hitch and use a weight distribution hitch with it and maybe anti-sway. I've read people hauling this weight without any problems. Then I read others saying don't do it. The more I read, the more confused I get. What do you all think about this trailer & weight? Should I just look for a lighter trailer? I want to be as safe as possible with my cargo! :help:

Any advise would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks,
Dave

You will be fine. Get a Weight Distributing hitch set up, a good electric brake controller, and if you still have the factory hitch a good aftermarket hitch. If you find you are low on power a tuner will help.

Avalon

Great! I bought the Prodogy P2 brake controller from recommendations on this site. I still have the factory hitch. Are you talking about bumping it up to the class IV hitch?

Thanks,
Dave

Yes class 4 or class 5. Look at Reese, Curt, etc. The factory OEm hitch with the tube through the center is reffered ot as the "Flexible Flyer". More than that I have seen them rust over time, and break while under load.

Avalon

I agree you'll be fine. Get the weight distributing hitch and tow away!

OK, I purchased a different trailer than the one I was looking at above. This one is lighter- 2,440 lbs. (all aluminum) :D. 2-horse slant trailer with small tack area up front. Only about 13'-6" long.

Do I keep my factory installed hitch and add a WD hitch OR just replace my factory installed receiver for a class 5 - like this one.....http://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hitch/Chevrolet/Avalanche/2005/C15324.html?vehicleid=200514110 ?

Plus the trailer has a steel plate across the whole top of the a-frame between the hitch and the trailer. Would I have to cut holes through it to install a WD hitch?  :(

Thanks,
Dave

I'd go ahead and get that hitch and add the WD. How much do the horses weigh I bet they are pretty heavy.

Each one weighs about 1,200 lbs. That would put me at 4,840 lbs. Add some tack and gear- for a total of around 5,200 lbs.

I didn't know if I could get by with just replacing the hitch....???

With weight distribution.

http://www.etrailer.com/partlist/Chevrolet/Avalanche/Weight%20Distribution

Still messing with this whole trailer hitch thing. I contacted eTrailer and asked what they recommended and here's their reply"

Expert Reply:

The first thing I recommend is to check out the towing capacity of the hitch you have installed on your 2005 Chevrolet Avalanche 1500 4 X 4 . You will want to make sure the hitch is rated to be able to use a weight distribution system and you do not want to exceed the towing capacity of the lowest rated component of a system.

You will want to make sure your trailer is capable of using a weight distribution system. Many aluminum trailers do not allow weight distribution. If it is not stated on a plate or sticker on the trailer you will want to check with the trailer manufacturer to make sure the trailer can use a weight distribution system.

There are a couple of factors you need to know for a weight distribution system. The Gross Trailer Weight (GTW), which is the weight of the fully loaded ready-to-tow trailer, and the Tongue Weight (TW), which is the tongue weight of the trailer and the weight of any cargo behind the rear axle of your Avalanche. I have attached a helpful article that explains weight distribution and what is needed you can check out.

If you find you are able to use weight distribution, you can send me the information needed and I will be happy to help make some recommendations that would work for you.

It can be a hassle but you want to be sure you are safe when towing anything, especially valuable cargo like your horses and yourself.

If your hitch is rated for only 5000 lbs, I recommend replacing it with a hitch that can handle your load like the Hidden Hitch Trailer Hitch, http://www.etrailer.com/p-87614.html. This has a 6,000 lb towing capacity and a 900 lb tongue weight capacity. This is a Class lll hitch and has a 2 inch receiver opening.

I guess this will work ok and within my limits. What do you all think? Just taking his word that I can't use a WD hitch.

Also, the factory hitch has the wiring harness connected to a plate that's welded to the hitch. What do you all do with it?? What's the simplest solution??? Any pics?

Thanks,
Dave

dbr549 said:

Also, the factory hitch has the wiring harness connected to a plate that's welded to the hitch. What do you all do with it?? What's the simplest solution??? Any pics?
Move it to above by license plate.
See this thread:
http://chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php/topic,8382.0.html

Back