• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

buzzing noise when I run A/C?

Dialn911

When I turn on the A/C I am getting a fan buzzing noise....I think it may be the blower fan/air handler?....I believe its located under the dash on the passenger side. Anyone here have this happen? Easy fix?
thanks

Dialn911 said:
When I turn on the A/C I am getting a fan buzzing noise....I think it may be the blower fan/air handler?....I believe its located under the dash on the passenger side. Anyone here have this happen? Easy fix?
thanks

I just had that...but mine blew hot air. I had a mobile tech come to my house and all he did was add freon and my ac blew cold and the buzzing fan noise went away. Not sure if that's whats going on with yours...if its blowing cold then it could be the blower / fan. I've heard to replace that is pretty costly because of the removal of the entire dash.

it blows cold, and blows air hard. no problem performance wise, just noise.

There  are 2 things down there I can think of the fan motor or the blower module. Try taking out the fan and see if there is any wobble in it. The module is a circuit board that needs a lot of airflow to keep it cool. Does it make noise with the heat on.

You might notice that this condition doesn't happen all the time. Seems to be temperature sensitive.

looks like heat has nothing to do with it. I think is a loose blower motor.....the case under the dash is vibrating and you can hear it wind down based on speed of the fan. Oh well, $60 part and easy to replace...no big deal.
thanks guys.
:)

Be sure to check the squirrel cage attached to the motor if you have to swap it over. It could have a bad mount area or cracked fin or anything. If the new motor comes with a cage then don't worry about it.  :B:

Thanks for the tip.  I found a complete replacement,  motor with fan and cage from a 2008 silverado for $35 shipped. Can't beat that. 

take the old one down and inspect it first...  mine ended up having a GM Part# tag fall down from the A pillar and get stuck in the fan...  no need to buy anything!

Back