• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

MBRP vs Gibson

AVY202

Anybody have experience with both exhaust? Looking to see witch one is quitter. Looking for your opinions on each. Thanks Bob

I had a Gibson single swept side on my '04 Z71 Tahoe and now have an MBRP single side exit on my '05 Avalanche.

From my memory (the Tahoe was traded in back in 200:cool:, the Gibson was the quieter of the two.  It rumbled nicely on startup and when accelerating but was fairly quiet on the highway.  The MBRP is fairly loud on startup/acceleration and above 3000 RPM on the highway becomes very, very noticeable.  Not to say it's obnoxious, but it certainly isn't a quiet system.  Before this pipe I had a Magnaflow muffler with custom tubes (dual exit) and the MBRP isn't much quieter than the previous setup was when you're hard on the gas.  That being said, it quiets down very much at low RPM when you're just cruising along.

I can't speak as to which added more power (the Avy is heavier and had 125k miles when the MBRP was installed), but I doubt there's a big difference...neither will do much unless you add an intake and a tune along with the exhaust.

One thing I can say is that I have had problems with both of the systems.  In not opting for stainless steel (saving money initially vs. gaining longevity), road salt took its toll on both of them.  The Gibson cracked right behind the muffler and was welded back together by use of a sleeve.  This was after a few years of it on the 'Hoe.

The MBRP, however, has been on my Avalanche less than a year (purchased in June of 2013) and this March the hanger behind the muffler cracked off of the pipe itself (leaving the hanger still attached to the rubber mount and in turn taking a 1.5" diameter hole out of the pipe where it was welded to the exhaust).  It unfortunately did make the truck a *drop* louder, especially on startup, but luckily I had filled out the warranty card and should be receiving my replacement system early next week.  I'll be painting this one with high-temperature BBQ paint (flat black) so that the road salt doesn't get the best of this one as well.

If price is a factor, I'd say go MBRP (I'm not familiar with current Gibson prices as I wanted to try something different and thus went MBRP, but my current system was very inexpensive on Amazon).  It's still a decent quality system, just marred by a poor weld and the devil that is road salt.  If you live in the rust belt, spring for the stainless steel system (I'd recommend this for whichever exhaust you go with) or paint it before you install it.  If money isn't a factor, check out Corsa's exhausts!

Let us know what you choose and how you like it  (y)

Thanks for the reply. That's great info, exactly what I was looking for. My truck is an 03 with 100,00mi so im not looking to stick a lot of money in it, but don't want it to sound loud or like crap. The Gibson is only like $30.00 more than the MBRP. Now I will have to make up my mind. Thanks

AVY202 said:
Thanks for the reply. That's great info, exactly what I was looking for. My truck is an 03 with 100,00mi so im not looking to stick a lot of money in it, but don't want it to sound loud or like crap. The Gibson is only like $30.00 more than the MBRP. Now I will have to make up my mind. Thanks

No problem, that's what the site is for  (y)

It's honestly a toss-up for $30.  The MBRP is definitely louder but the Gibson is definitely more pleasant on the highway.  Really comes down to what you're looking for.  Have you ever heard a NNBS Denali/Escalade stock exhaust?  That's most like what I can compare the Gibson to, it's throaty and deep but not "loud."  Sounds aftermarket without being loud...on the other hand, in a parking garage the MBRP might be able to set off a few alarms  >:D

Well I ordered up the Gibson. I do a lot of towing and don't want a loud exhaust. I am not happy with the performance of my 5.3 hopping this will help a little. I want to do a custom tune and intake now also. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks Bob

Please post up after it's installed.  If you have any means to provide acceleration before/after changes (performance computer or dyno) please post results.  Also let us know if you see any before/after changes in fuel mileage.

If you do an intake along with the exhaust system you should see a slight increase in MPG.  That is, if you can keep yourself from accelerating hard to hear it roar  >:D

A custom tune will provide the biggest increase in gas mileage.  Contact Black Bear Performance for that, they're the best/closest you'll get to a full-blown dyno tune (dyno tune being twice as expensive).  As for the intake, there's a ton of threads on here about them, search button is your friend!  I have an Airraid intake but it's so old and was bought so long ago I honestly can't be of help in terms of this.

On the performance front, the exhaust/intake/tune combo will definitely give it a bump in power, at least enough that you'll notice.  It's nothing like doing *real* power mods but you will feel it down low in the powerband and on throttle response.

Back