• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Hardest Thing You've Had to Do to Your Avi?

jasonh1966

As a noob Avi owner and completely untalented auto mechanic, I'd like to know...

What are the most difficult procedures you've had to perform on your Avi?

I know plug #8 is pretty bad.  What's worse?

That's probably the worst but a 3" body lift helps, You can go through the wheel well to change plugs then  >:D

One thing you will want to look for in the owners manual is how to get that damn spare tire down. It isn't a simple thing the first time you try it without reading the manual. There's a secondary latch that needs to be released by actually "tightening" the mechanism about 1/2 a turn before lowering it. If the PO of your vehicle didn't bother to ever lower that spare, you may want to get on that right away before you need it out on the road.

Cranked up a large cat. The next few days of hunting parts and replacing the fan, fan clutch and radiator was the most involved I have had to get so far. Hardest thing was getting the cat out though.

I confirm for the plug >:D, have tested this week end
You can mentioned also the oil pressure sending, the crankshaft sensor
But it s nothing to compared at the worst thing I ve discover Saturday, and at this time is not fixed, replacing new oxygen sensor. That is really impossible to make
They are literally welded, tried all solutions, anti rust bolt spray, heating, special socket for this job, screaming, crying lol
I neeeedddd help, I don t know how to find a solution

Maniac said:
I confirm for the plug >:D, have tested this week end
You can mentioned also the oil pressure sending, the crankshaft sensor
But it s nothing to compared at the worst thing I ve discover Saturday, and at this time is not fixed, replacing new oxygen sensor. That is really impossible to make
They are literally welded, tried all solutions, anti rust bolt spray, heating, special socket for this job, screaming, crying lol
I neeeedddd help, I don t know how to find a solution

This is where I will take it to the mechanic and hope that the priesthood can save me.

It happens almost every week, I have to put 30 plus gallons of gas it. Very difficult...  :mad:

AV 2500 said:
Cranked up a large cat. The next few days of hunting parts and replacing the fan, fan clutch and radiator was the most involved I have had to get so far. Hardest thing was getting the cat out though.

In K.C. one year and was bitter cold and garage full and wife's Olds Delta 88 outside, tried to start to go to work, cat YYYEEEOOOWWW! noise, looked under hood, all four belts off, snowing like crazy, wife offers to drive to auto parts store to get belts while I start the R&R procedure, had to lay on ground for one of the belts, it was a frickin' PIA, wife thought it was funny while watching from inside warm garage with a cup of hot coffee, looking through garage door windows, divorced 6 months later.....Damn CAT!  :E:

First was the knock sensors first go at an LS engine.
More nerves than difficulty.
The all out was replacing the T-Case with one useable arm after surgery.

JVZL1 said:
The all out was replacing the T-Case with one useable arm after surgery.

Dang - that's not the easiest thing to do with 4 arms!

Getting the rusted/broken spare tire mechanism to function  :E:

JK, not the hardest thing to do...or am I kidding...?

Not sure if its the same for your 2008 but removing the Crankshaft Position Sensor on my 02 2500 for me was a beeotch! Its super hard to reach, literally behind the engine between the firewall...no room for your arms to fit!?! My wife had to help me install it and tighten the 10mm bolt with her little hands and arms because I just couldn't get my arms in!  :E:

Maniac:  Same thing happened to me with my drivers side upstream o2 sensor.  I eventually torqued it so much with a cheater bar that it pulled the threads out with it-- not even a thread chaser could clean it out.  I drove it wounded to a local muffler shop and they welded in a new bung complete with new threads for 50 bucks and plugged the new one in that I bought...    it sounded like a tank driving it down the road... make sure you are close (few miles) to a shop when you finally put some real muscle and cheater pipe into that sensor (and you also need to use a 6 pt deep well socket and cut the wire on the old one to get some real torque on it)  those sockets with the wire cut out are NOT going to work...      you might get lucky and free it with threads intact...

Not the hardest, but I HATE lubing the front end. Some of the zerk fittings are a PITA to get to.  I really need to get a longer hose on the gun and get some 90 deg fittings.

Back