• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Towing package on 2005 Avalanche

funpilot

I believe I have the transmission cooler on my 2005 1500 Avalanche.  Am looking to pull about 6400 pounds (max rating is 7300 for me) and will be getting the Blue Ox and air bags.  Does the transmission cooler that comes with my truck good enough or do I need another one?

You will be fine. I towed our 22' wakeboarding boat thousands of miles at elevation with the factory tow package.

A external transmission cooler will look like this on a 1500.

As far as the hitch I would upgrade it for a warm and fussy feeling.

Attachments

• troilcooler.png
    troilcooler.png
    10.8 KB · Views: 117
If you are pulling one time, you'll be fine.  If this is a regular event, I'd suggest a cooler, a hitch, and keep a close eye on your brakes. I dropped $10k into my truck to haul what you are hauling (albeit through the rockies)

funpilot said:
Will I need to upgrade the hitch itself if I get the Blue Ox system?
I just got the Blue Ox to tow my new 25 ft Dutchman, but it is only 5,000#'s and 550 lbs tongue weight. I have 2011 Z71 and Tow package. My Factory set-up is working well (so far). Get ready, that hitch weighs 110lbs with all the pieces (clamps & WD bars)..oh I have Air Bags too, but they say to reduce the air to minimum levels when using the WD set-up. I guess they are both trying to do the same job.
I 've only used The WD hitch a couple of times, but really like the way it works with the truck - Nice and level with solid control.

Have looked at much lighter trailer now and do not believe I will pull anything over 5200 pounds now.  Do we have class 3 or class 4 trailer hitches on out trucks?

We have class 3.  My spec label on bottom of the hitch (under the truck) it lists the capacity. Stand alone mine says good for 5,000# and 600# tongue weight. With WD, it moves to 12,000# and 1,100 Tongue. Not sure how all that works, I'm not that familiar with the engineering behind it all. Hope that helps.

Back