• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

OEM Nav DVD error

wazzu83

2005 Av with OEM Nav HU and v 3.0 DVD Rom 10390370.

Recently, I get a CD Error message on the HU and the Nav system no longer functions. I have "played" a CD cleaner with multiple passes. The HU will play CDs without any trouble. Just won't read the Nav DVD. I can read the Nav DVD in a PC DVD drive. While there are some blemishes on the DVD face, it does give hope that the DVD is not yet toast.

I was told by a electronics repair technician (related to home theater system) that DVDs spin at a higher RPM range than CDs, as I had a home DVD player that would play CDs but not play DVDs. I know that the speed is variable in order to maintain CLV across the data track radius changes and the data transfer rate for DVDs is typically much higher than a CD, so the RPM range must be higher. So it is plausible that the motor is slowing with age.

Not ready to "upgrade" the Nav DVD before knowing that my HU is functioning properly first.

Anyone share a similar experience?

Thanks in advance.

You have a really old version so I think it's time for a new one.

If you leave the DVD in all the time it's going to get scratched. In my case the system would freeze.

PS make sure you get a 2005 or 2006 model, the 07 up disc will not work.

wazzu83 said:
2005 Av with OEM Nav HU and v 3.0 DVD Rom 10390370.

Recently, I get a CD Error message on the HU and the Nav system no longer functions. I have "played" a CD cleaner with multiple passes. The HU will play CDs without any trouble. Just won't read the Nav DVD. I can read the Nav DVD in a PC DVD drive. While there are some blemishes on the DVD face, it does give hope that the DVD is not yet toast.

I was told by a electronics repair technician (related to home theater system) that DVDs spin at a higher RPM range than CDs, as I had a home DVD player that would play CDs but not play DVDs. I know that the speed is variable in order to maintain CLV across the data track radius changes and the data transfer rate for DVDs is typically much higher than a CD, so the RPM range must be higher. So it is plausible that the motor is slowing with age.

Not ready to "upgrade" the Nav DVD before knowing that my HU is functioning properly first.

Anyone share a similar experience?

Thanks in advance.

I don't know if you have the hardware/software to duplicate the DVD but if you do you might just try to make a copy of the DVD and then see of the NAV can read the copy.

Personally, after paying $200 for a DVD, I would always use a copy rather than the original. 

Good Luck!

My first attempt at creating the ISO image (ImgBurn) failed with an I/O error. I got out the Colgate and did a lite polish. The DVD still did not function in the Nav HU, but I was able to successfully create an ISO file. I thought that I had read somewhere that the Nav DVDs were Dual Layer. On first burn (ImgBurn) attempt the S/W advised that the image would fit on a single layer disc, so I swapped out the +R DL for a -R SL DVD. I completed the burn at 1x. I still have the same errors. "CD Error" followed by "No Map Data".

The byte & file count of my burned version match the original, which curiously is 5.9 Gb. This, according to my understanding, exceeds the capacity of an SL DVD of 4.7 Gb.

Should I ignore the S/W and use a DL DVD anyway?

I am trying to avoid making a stack of coasters.

Back