• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

IN Cab air filter

No only 02s had them.

Only 2002

New set will give you instructions...
some screws to remove and of course different sizes...

Dash bottom trim screws are 1/4" I think
About 2-4 of these to remove topull top down against floor.

Then one 7/32" I think for the filter cover doohickey which is a L shape peice of plastic..
2 filters shoved up in hole...

Could be easier but not bad and always full of dead bugs and crap.

ygmn said:
Only 2002

New set will give you instructions...
some screws to remove and of course different sizes...

Dash bottom trim screws are 1/4" I think
About 2-4 of these to remove topull top down against floor.

Then one 7/32" I think for the filter cover doohickey which is a L shape peice of plastic..
2 filters shoved up in hole...

Could be easier but not bad and always full of dead bugs and crap.

Ok, thanks for the info. I wonder why there is two filters instead of one bigger one. Costs more money that way I bet. Those dogs.  (y)

Wait till you see the size of them then you will know.

can only put one it at time as they go side by side

So nobody is going to say that some members have added the cabin air filters to newer than '02 AVs?

Here's a link to an old thread. Near the end someone shows doing this mod on an '07. Not sure if it's still possible on a 2011 but, it wouldn't hurt to look.
Do you want a cabin air filter in your 2003 and up Avy!?!

By the way, thanks for reminding me. It's time to change the filters in my '04 and my brother's '08.

Thanks WAZ I tried a search but could not find that one.  (y)

ygmn said:
can only put one it at time as they go side by side

The way you said that it makes it sound like you put one in and then have to shift it sideways in to a cavity and then put the second one in? Correct?  ???

raiderron said:
The way you said that it makes it sound like you put one in and then have to shift it sideways in to a cavity and then put the second one in? Correct?  ???
yes...

PIA

I'm finding it odd that no one has ever posted an actual picture of what their filters looked like after any given period of time or location for customary driving. Is it as bad as looking into a toilet before flushing?  :9:

I changed out the in cab filter in my former 04 CTS a few times over 9 years. Each time, it looked to be mostly brake dust, probably from my vehicle too. I was not the daily driver and it was only driven 50 miles RT per day for weekday commutes for 9 months each over the first 4 years.

:nopics:

They're have been pictures in the older threads on this subject.

Cool, wait till you have to take the insulation off.

:E:  Ok, wise guys! That was a PIA!  :E: The kicker cover had places for 3 screws but the one right behind the center console was missing and I can see why!  :E: The other 2 came right out and then the hinged cover was a cinch to remove. First filter found and removed easily, I thought for a second that it only had one filter till I twisted my body around and put on magnifier glasses and found the second filter, coaxed it forward and slipped it out.  :E: The new filters went right in and reassembled the covers. Tried to EASILY get another screw in the hole where the missing screw was. No easy task, laid on my back, held my tongue just right, twisted fingers in unnatural ways, bit my tongue, dropped the screw, went thru the whole ritual again, did not bite my tongue this time, fingers seemed to be more flexible than I thought they would be, started the screw with a hope and prayer method, got a flex extension with a 7mm socket and when I got it tight I said to myself-"Self why didn't you just leave that screw out because now you have to remove it again when you change the filters the next time.  :E:" Live and learn. Just noticed that somehow I scraped my left forearm and it bled when I wasn't looking and now I have blood on my shirtsleeve.  :needhug:

raiderron said:
:E:  Ok, wise guys! That was a PIA!  :E: The kicker cover had places for 3 screws but the one right behind the center console was missing and I can see why!  :E: The other 2 came right out and then the hinged cover was a cinch to remove. First filter found and removed easily, I thought for a second that it only had one filter till I twisted my body around and put on magnifier glasses and found the second filter, coaxed it forward and slipped it out.  :E: The new filters went right in and reassembled the covers. Tried to EASILY get another screw in the hole where the missing screw was. No easy task, laid on my back, held my tongue just right, twisted fingers in unnatural ways, bit my tongue, dropped the screw, went thru the whole ritual again, did not bite my tongue this time, fingers seemed to be more flexible than I thought they would be, started the screw with a hope and prayer method, got a flex extension with a 7mm socket and when I got it tight I said to myself-"Self why didn't you just leave that screw out because now you have to remove it again when you change the filters the next time.  :E:" Live and learn. Just noticed that somehow I scraped my left forearm and it bled when I wasn't looking and now I have blood on my shirtsleeve.  :needhug:

I believe the tongue clinching method is to ensure you don't swallow the screw.

In the 04 CTS that I once had, the filter was accessed outside near the windshield above the firewall. My fingers were far to large to do the job without blooding on the filters.

I ended up changing 3 more that day since I was already damaged and numbed up. It just seemed easier than removing the hood and they all got the blood too.

Did you ever consider why the original screw was missing?  ???

Now I'm understanding why more 02 owners have not been posting any comments on this procedure.  :eek:

Back