• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Engine hours

Mitchproc

So on my new avalanche with 140 000 km on it, I was cycling through the gauge options and noticed that it only has 155 hours on it... now this is physically impossible seeing as this would mean that the truck would have to be averaging roughly 960km/h for this to be true. Is it possible for the hours to be reset manually? It did recently get a new battery put in could this be the culprit?

I'm not sure if engine hours can be reset or not... But getting a new gauge cluster that doesn't have hours programmed will in essence "reset" it. Hours are only stored in the cluster. Mine shows 866 hours with 72k miles. It works out to around 85mph average if I remember from figuring it out. Obviously, not accurate.

hmm that might be something that I want to look in too however it was the original owner that I bought it from and that seems like something he would have told me :help:

The clusters in our trucks are notorious for having stepper motors go out. In fact, I need a new cluster (or a rebuild) because my oil pressure gauge is shot. If I'm not mistaken there was an "extended coverage" of sorts by GM a few years ago because of all the problems.

When I had my second Ava I purchased a white gauge face cluster with a grand temp gauge. Gave both to the dealership and they sent them off to have info programmed into the new one. I got the new one back without hours transferred.

According to the manual, you cannot reset the hour meter

My hour meter has reset itself twice.  7 1/2 years 85k mi. 11 hrs.= 7727mph ha ha

Snyder80 said:
I'm not sure if engine hours can be reset or not...
Yes, but not by you.

I can be done when you swap clusters. It can be done at any GM dealership when you replace the cluster.
Clusters are shipped with 0 hours & 0 miles, the info must be transferred when the exchange is done.

JohnnieMo said:
Mine reset around 3000 hours.  It seems to be a common issue.
I will ask the tech's when I go to  work to see if this is a known issue.

TLB said:
It can be done when you swap clusters. It can be done at any GM dealership when you replace the cluster.
Clusters are shipped with 0 hours & 0 miles, the info must be transferred when the exchange is done.

Or you can have a cluster rebuilt like I did, from the time the cluster quit and I mailed it in and reinstalled it was several weeks or 200 to 400 miles.

My cluster had intermittent failures before it quit altogether, it's possible the original owner didn't even notice the cluster wasn't working or got it repaired years after it malfunctioned.

update! it just did it again...... i had 0 hours... wtf.
i am also confused on why the 2003 and 2004 had instant economy yet 2005 and 2006 did not....

Back