• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

What oil and filter do you use for your avalanche ?

brownprider07

I have a chevy avalanche 2002 with about 150 k miles on it I think. To lazy to walk outside. What brand do you use for both things ? Right now I'm using castrol high mileage and used a Bosch filter on my last change. I have a fram filter from a deal when I bought oil for someone else ? Any brand you recommend ? Cheaper ? Just as good ?

You can't go wrong with an AC Delco filter and if aftermarket I have always used Wix filters and never once had a problem. If you purchase a NAPA filter it is made by WIX, unless they changed over the last 2-3 years, and they have different qualities. I always bought the Gold filter. Quality filter and oil means not changing it every 3000 miles. 5000-7000 miles between changes with quality parts has always served me well. I can guarantee there will be as many opinions about this as there is filters and oil brands. Mobil 1 oil is great and proven. If you want to use petroleum based oil then I use Valvoline and never had a problem. NAPA oil is Valvoline.  :wave:

Whatever the Ford dealer puts on it. I get the oil changed every 4,000 miles. Cost me $24 out the door and I never leave my truck. They have cameras all over so you can watch the techs as they're doing their job. I can't change it myself that cheap and I refuse to follow the oil life monitor. Ever take notice how bad the oil looks after 5,000 miles and if you really get all 6 quarts out of the engine ( or close to 6 quarts)? Seems like I'm lucky to get 4.5 qts when I was doing it myself. All 3 of our avys have over 130k miles on them so they're going to use some oil, I just want it using most of it between changes.

I use Amsoil filter and oil 5-30 used it in all my vehicles i have owned, and use in in my semi truck we just changed that oil the other week after 165,000 kms after the oil analysis told us it was ready to be changed and i did that mileage in 6 months

NAPA Platinum oil and air filters.

Mobil 1 5W30.

Oil monitor has me changing at 7,000 miles or so.

No worries here.

Mobil 1 10-30

Wix Filters- actually Napa filters are Wix

Throw the Fram away- unless its their top of the line they are junk.

Avalon

avalonandl said:
Mobil 1 10-30

Wix Filters- actually Napa filters are Wix

Throw the Fram away- unless its their top of the line they are junk.

Avalon

I agree about the Fram oil filters. If you have ever cut them open and looked at the standard one sold at the stocking shelf they were cardboard on the end and the pleated filter element that is in a circle inside the canister was tied together with a string. Crap! The Wix/Napa is way better design. Have cut them open and you can see the difference. Glad to know that NAPA is still Wix filters.  (y)

Royal Purple 5-30 and K&N filter...

The K&N's are put together good, I cut them open after an oil change to inspect.. The other reason I like them is because of the 1 inch nut on the bottom makes it easy to R&R, just use a 1/2 inch drive 6 point socket and a long extention and it comes right off..

I usually change it between 4000 - 6000 miles depending on type of driving like towing or just highway.. It has 221,000 miles on it...

AC Delco filter, oil is what comes out of the bulk tank at the dealership I work at.  Last I heard it was Sunoco.

Redline full synthetic 5w30 and whatever filter the mechanic puts on.  Used the oil life monitor for the first 200,000+ miles.  Then I put on a supercharger 3 years ago, who's manufacturer calls for changing the oil every 3000 miles - I change it now at 6000 - Redline costs over $10/quart.  Engine now has 275,000 miles.

EXT4ME said:
NAPA Platinum oil and air filters.

Mobil 1 5W30.

No worries here.

Been using the same combo for years. Well actually switched from the gold filter to platinum about a year ago.

Valvoline syn power full synthetic 10w 30 and puralator pure one filter.

There's a bunch of youtube videos of people cutting open oil filters.  It's really interesting actually.  I'll never buy a fram or microgard filter.  I use Purelator Pure Classic filters which cost around 3 bucks or less at Farm and Fleet.  I also use Farm and Fleet brand 5w-30 which is produced by CITGO. 

I use ac delco oil filter and valvoline max life oil. I just checked mine and the display says I still have 65% left before change,the oil has over 4000 miles on it and still looks just as golden as it did when I put it in there!

EXT4ME said:
Oil monitor has me changing at 7,000 miles or so.
I would not trust that, quite a few don't reset to 100% after a oil change.  Mine included

It reset to 100% but I figured probably 6000-6500 I would change it since the oil I'm running is a semisynthetic. When I bought it the oil I changed out of it was still really clean. The meter was at 14%. When I got the av it had 113 on it now its at 117.

Mobil 1 5w-30

Fram Sythetic oil filter

Only 2 oil changes a year.  Over kill, maybe, cost wise isnt much more

Synthetic Mobil-1 5w-30 oil and Mobil-1 oil filter since truck was brand new, now it has 105K plus miles and still like a new motor, and followed always the oil life sensor, oil change goes from 6500 to 8000 miles depending the way i drive  >:D

I run Castrol Syntec or Mobile One with Bosch, Mobile One or K&N oil filters in our fleet.  It depends what the oil change special is at Autozone when it comes time for a change, but it is always one of those oils and usually one of those filters.

Mobil 1 5W30 and PF 48 AC filter every 3K.

And it's a good thing I've been stocking up on 3 dozen PF48s at Walmarts for $3.97 ea. to last the life of my vehicles. Last trip to the dealer showed they superseded the PF48 (like others) with the newer PF48E at $8.08 ea.......the "E" suffix is the environmentally friendly version designed to disintegrate in landfills......I'll stick with the old stuff, bad enough having things supposedly designed to last, fall apart.....worse is intentionally buying things specifically designed to fall apart.

cool , i love to here the replies. its how i learned fram was poop  (y) do yall think the whole "extended life" and etc really matter ? -- right now im using castrol edge (the green bottle ) for cars with lots of miles and a bosch filter. but my next oil change i will have to try some of these combinations ha. btw my truck is about to hit 170,000 miles.

Back