• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

B&M Supercooler 70268 "License Plate" Install - 2008 LTZ

JohnnieMo

SM 2017
PM 2014
SM 2013
This is the install thread for my B&M Supercooler 70268 on my 2008 Avalanche LTZ.  I?m using it as a transmission cooler.  I chose this cooler because of its great reviews, and the fact that it is a stacked plate cooler, as opposed to the tube and fin design.  I picked it up from Amazon for about $70.  I am building up my truck to be a heavy hauler as I have a 6500-7000lb boat trailer to tow.  So far I?ve done the EBC Brakes, new Autoride shocks, Cold Air Intake and the Magnuson Supercharger.  I?ve also got a new Drawtite 41930 hitch on backorder.

I?m doing a really custom install because my truck has very little room behind the grill.  Due to the supercharger, I have limited space up top.  I counted and there are already 5 coolers up top (radiator, AC condenser, power steering, transmission (built-in), and the supercharger intercooler).  As such I elected to install mine down below the bumper ? where the license plate would be.

Start by removing the whole front clip.  I won?t bother to tell you how because there is a terrific video you can watch to show how.  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7oM5ep42740

Once the clip is removed, you can see what you are dealing with.  

In order to work in here, we elected to remove the Cold Air Intake.  My helper here is doing the hard work.  I didn?t realize this before, but the cold air intake (at least my Volant variety) sucks air in through the grill.  Before I thought it only came from below.  Very cool.  

In order to mount the cooler below the bumper we had to fabricate a bracket.  To do this we built a bracket out of flat steel stock that was bent up on either end.  It bolted on the the tow hook bolts on either side of the bumper.  We then painted it to prevent rust.

Next you need to tap into the existing transmission lines.  My truck, and I think every automatic vehicle on the road today, has an existing transmission cooler embedded in the radiator.  This is due to the high heat generated by torque converters.  So you want to leave this in line first, then pass to the supercooler after.  First step is finding the inlet and the outlet.  We determined by starting the vehicle, and leaving it in gear with the brake applied, that the top was the outlet.  (to discover this for yourself, feel the lines.  The hot one is the inlet.  I was shocked how quickly it got hot doing this)

We detached the existing line from the top and removed it.  See the video above, as removing this piece is a bit of an art form.  Then stick in the new, brass adaptor for GM vehicles.  I got this on Amazon as well.  It is a Hayden part: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000EPRCAC/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

We now unbolted the return line as well to be slightly relocated.  You can see it hanging here. (note you can also see the large air hole for the cold air intake beside the radiator)

Next we ran the lines from the radiator outlet and from the transmission return line.  I bought some extra 3/8? line from Amazon for this, as previous reviews told me the kit didn?t have enough.  You run the lines through the ?cold air? hole, and down below the radiator.  The holes were already present.  If you have the GM Aux Cooler installed (like the suburban in the video), then you need to do some cutting.  Fortunately, I didn?t have to.

Here you can see them coming down to below the bumper.

Note: Anywhere that the line was rubbing on sharp plastic or metal, I wrapped the hose in some rubber sleeve.

Next we bolted the cooler on to our metal bracket.  

The bracket was then installed on the truck.  We tipped it up slightly for better clearance to get the front clip on.  

With the bracket fastened we added a couple other stainless steel supports.

Next we had to cut-away the license plate holder from the front clip.  After lots of pondering, I found my trusty vibrating tool (Sonicrafter).  If you don?t have one of these tools yet, buy one.  They always save my butt.  It sliced the plastic like butter.  Afterwards I sanded down the edging and installed it back on the truck.  You can see the hole here:

Next was the fun part.  I tried to find a grill to do this project, but pretty much failed to find anything proper.  As such, I just strolled through Canadian Tire until I found stuff that looked neat.  I ended up with this?. Whatever it?s called.

I fitted the ?rack? up inside the hole.  I fastened it with a couple tie wraps on the bottom, and some metal strapping on the top.  The feet of the rack bent around nicely to use as mounting feet.  It was actually quite perfect.

And here is the result.  Looks alright.  Should flow a huge amount of air.  

As for performance, it is -13C today, so I won?t get any useful readings for quite some time.  However the cooler is noticeably warm to the touch after even a minute of running the truck.  So it is clearly working.  Also, there are no leaks to be found.  I just need to add some extra fluid (slowly, while checking often) before I drive to far.  

I also took this opportunity to replace some burned out bulbs in the headlight, but alas, my ambers weren?t quite ready to go in?. sigh.  This is what happens when you leave them in your toolbox too long.

Great spot for that cooler, and creative grill design!  :laugh:

If you ever want a custom CNC plasma cut grill for that spot, let me know. I can make it out of just about anything depending on the design.

(y)

blu_fuz said:
Great spot for that cooler, and creative grill design!  :laugh:

If you ever want a custom CNC plasma cut grill for that spot, let me know. I can make it out of just about anything depending on the design.

(y)

LOL... Thanks.  I also found a cookie cooling rack that might work.  It was $4.  Maybe I'll swap the other one in after a while.

Thanks for the offer.  I think I would like something cool.... however I'm not sure what precisely.  I'll go with this for a while and see how I like it.  A lot of other guys fill in the tow hook holes as well.  Otherwise it looks a bit like a beaver.  However so far I'm okay with it.

Normally I'd pick on you for spelling "grille" wrong.  But in your case, it's actually correct.  :D

So I hooked up the boat last night and did some testing of the truck.  Prior to installing the cooler, I could get over 205F in 10 minutes at 60MPH.  Yesterday I drove for much longer and even did some test WOT runs.  The transmission never got over 180F.  In fact, it was at it hottest just sitting in traffic.  Once the truck got moving, it shot way down. 

So I'm quite pleased with this cooler!

Awesome work! I love the licence plate to grill move.

This just made it on to my to-do list. Unfortunately it is a long list and this isn't close to the top.

(y)

Beilwing said:
Awesome work! I love the licence plate to grill move.

This just made it on to my to-do list. Unfortunately it is a long list and this isn't close to the top.

(y)
It will shoot up once you start towing something heavy.  (y)

Ain't it the truth though.  I have the hardest time staying away from "beautification".  My fiance has so far accepted the performance mods as they actually do something.  However telling her I want EXT cladding, or cool looking headlamps are a tougher sell..

After two 6 hour trips through the mountains towing 6500lbs, the mighty supercooler kept my temps below 195F.  I was amazed how well it performed.  The temp actually spikes when sitting at traffic lights, or even idling in the parking lot, as the radiator cooler brings the temp UP! 

I also did an apples to apples test:
It is ten minutes from my local lake to home.  Last year, same ambient temp, the truck hit 205F on the trip.  This year, the truck hit 167F.  I'd say it is quite conclusive that this supercooler kicks butt.

(y) B&M's are good coolers, I'm running one also PN 70266.. Temp never gets over 190 deg under load..

I'm running a Tru-Cool unit, built by Long Manufacturing, which is of the same stacked plate design as the B&M. Mine was installed at the same time as the Magnacharger. If I was able to, I really like your install as it gives you plenty of air. I have to run a front plate, so I would have to get innovative - I guess I could add some spacers to space the plate off the bumper cover to allow airflow between the plate and the cover.

Mine was mounted down at the bottom of the radiator, where it gets airflow from the bottem center bumper cover vent.

Back