• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Towing a small trailer

rgbeard

I have a dual-motorcycle trailer that I'm towing this weekend.

Avy is: 2004, 5.3L, 3.73 rear axle.

Trailer: 450#.  Two motorcycles, 900#.

The total 1,350# is not much, in the whole scope of things.

The state of CA, will be limiting my speed to 55mph.  I'll push it to 60mph, but that's about all the CHiPs will let one get away with.  They're stricter on the towing limit than the 70mph limit for other vehicles on the freeway.

Question is - do I use, or not use, the towing button on the stalk.  The book indicated that it's most useful when you hit around 75% GCWR, of which I don't think we'll be that close.

Thoughts, anyone?

You are good to go. I don't think that small of a trailer is a trailer as in Travel /camper trailer.

But make sure the trailer is rated for that speed.

MS03 2500 said:
You are good to go. I don't think that small of a trailer is concerned a trailer as in Travel /camper trailer.

But make sure the trailer is rated for that speed.

Thanks for the input.  In the scope of things it really is nothing for an Avy, I guess.

The trailer is a professionally built Kendon, that would have no problem running 80mph.  It's on 13" wheels, and well-made.  I've used it with another vehicle for thousands of miles, and keep the tires and bearings well-maintained.

I wouldn't tow one of those Harbor Freight deals with the 8" wheels.

http://www.kendonusa.com/dual-ride-up-motorcycle-trailer.html

That what I'm saying and no uhaul trailers. (n)

IF you find the Tranny hunting for gears...then use TOW/HAUL

other wise with that light of load you shoud be fine...

Also if it goes in and out of OD a bunch turn Tow/HAUL on

I have a alum v fishing boat/ trailer that weighs about the 1500 lbs loaded with a 05 4x4 ls with 3.42 gears. You will not have any problems with the Avy.

I doubt you'll need tow/haul.  I used to tow my HF trailer w/ the 12" wheels and 2 track bikes all the time on my old Avy.  Didn't even notice it was back there.  Tow/haul never needed.

Thanks for the input, everyone.

I appreciate it.  I realize from most people's perspective, it's chickens**t in the world of trailers.  I just don't want to mess up.

:B:

Remember to recheck everything including the tie downs after 30 min of driving. Your load can shift.

With the short wheelbase on a mc trariler 55 mph actually is good.

Avalon

Don't sweat the T/H being on or off - it's the least of your worries.  Try it off and on and use as you feel works best.

Made it through the SoCal mountains from home to Streets of Willow in Rosamond. 

Yeah, the Avy didn't even "feel" the trailer.  The transmission didn't hunt, and I never used the T/H button, as I never felt I had any behavior to correct with it.

Sorry all, my prior vehicle, with which I towed this trailer, was a much less-capable one, and I had to be more careful

I love my new-to-me AVY!!!

:B:

We didn't think you would have any problem. The only problem you may have is forgetting it's back there

Back