• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Cruise Control Stopped Working - Stumped!

MaineMan87

Hey guys,

I have read a lot of posts about failed cruise control and have attempted the easy fixes with no such luck. I occasionally get my abs light coming on when I am plowing and the wheels spin, so my first attempted resolution was simply disconnecting the battery to reset the ABS codes...didn't work. I then checked the fuse, but it was fine. I then began reading about a short in one of the wires for the brake switch, but I also read that your brake lights will not work if this is the case, and all 3 of my brake lights are fine. I do not have any LED bulbs on my truck.  I started to assume that maybe my switch itself is bad, but if I push the button in rapidly, I can get the cruise icon to appear on the dash for a split second, so I don't think it's a faulty switch. I will crawl under the truck this weekend and look for any loose wires on the wheel hubs. What else can I look for? I really miss my cruise!

Thank you,
Andrew

Take a look at this post and see if that's your problem

http://chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php/topic,142885.0.html

Thanks. I stumbled upon that same post after posting. I'm sure that's the same solution for me. How can I reset my abs codes? I thought disconnecting the battery for 30 minutes would do it, but I guess not. Also, what is the remedy for the p1574 code? Replacing the brake switch or is it most likely a bad connection somewhere?

Have the AV scanned to see if that is your code. Just because the light is not on does not mean you don't have any stored codes.  Most auto parts stores will scan it for you.

Better yet buy a code reader that can scan for brake codes, they pay for themselves in the long run.

Any recommendations on an entry level abs code scanner? I have a great obd II app on my iphone that is ideal for engine codes, but like I previously mentioned, it does not read abs. I keep hoping for a software update that will include them, but I won't hold my breath.

Which app do you have, I have some pretty good ones on my Droid. Do you have a tablet also.

you have an 03, so chances are you still have a neon third brake light. mine still works, in fact most do, but neon dies over time, it still lights up but doesnt draw the voltage it should, tricking the bcm into thinking its burnt out.

i just used the scanner at oriellys, theirs reads abs, and its free. it also reads the enhanced codes, which is where i found the code for the brake light hiding, once i cleared that code i was back in business. i lost mine just like yours, with tire spinning tripping up the abs module, then the bc, just says no, mine would come on for just enough to illuminate the bulb. try an oriellys or autozone reader to get to the abs and enhanced codes. oriellys will clear your codes, but autozone wont (liability issues)

Skulptr - never would have thought of that. Did you eventually replace your brake light or do you just plan on resetting the code when it happens again?

I'm going to replace it eventually, but they run from 90-175 for a replacement, I'm going new, no point in going used if it's just going to happen again, I've got one more payment on my avy then I can start changing things

Back