• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Looking to put a tune on the 2002 Avy

Avalanche 1500

PM 2013
Wanted to know what you guys thunk about putting a tune on the Avy she has almost 150k on her and i didnt know if it would hurt to put a tune on. Would i possibly be doing any damage to the engine/trans? Thanks- SMAC

Shouldn't hurt anything, unless you have issues you already know about...it might make them more noticeable.  Other than that, a tune could only help, unless you tune for destructive transmission behavior  >:D

It depends on who tunes it, what they tune it with and their experience of tuning. You can advance/retard the timing too far and start pinging / knocking / backfiring. Too lean Air/Fuel mixture and you can burn a hole in pistons. Too rich and plug the cats. You can remove rev limiter, get drunk and pass-out with your foot pegged to the floor and blow the motor.

You should find a reputable tuner in your area. They will hook you up with a (somewhat customized) generic tune.

If you want a 100% custom tune (to get the absolute most out of your Avy), get a tuner (device), log all the data you can for as long as you can and ask around for a reputable tuner (person) that will analyze your logs and write a custom tune for your specific driving habbits/conditions.

Black Bear Performance is a pretty good choice, LOT of people with great experiences in dealing with BB Perf.

Here is my story: 2,124.80http://chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php/topic,142330.0.html

On the tune...they come with an Engine and a Tranny tune...The Engine tune can only help...however to get everything matched, the tranny also need to be adjusted, and that could cause issues with so many miles.

If you plan on driving it hard, I would be prepared to expect to rebuild the tranny, if you dont plan on pushing it, then probably be just fine.

I went with BB, and I see a few thumbsdown on Nelson, not sure why Ive only heard good things about Nelson, but have no first hand experience. BB does a great tune, but sometimes a little slow on responses, and also no way to adjust the tune, so your confined to their tunes and service.

Pros and Cons to both...

my $0.02 :)

arizona-dave said:
Here is my story: 2,124.80http://chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php/topic,142330.0.html

On the tune...they come with an Engine and a Tranny tune...The Engine tune can only help...however to get everything matched, the tranny also need to be adjusted, and that could cause issues with so many miles.

If you plan on driving it hard, I would be prepared to expect to rebuild the tranny, if you dont plan on pushing it, then probably be just fine.

I went with BB, and I see a few thumbsdown on Nelson, not sure why Ive only heard good things about Nelson, but have no first hand experience. BB does a great tune, but sometimes a little slow on responses, and also no way to adjust the tune, so your confined to their tunes and service.

Pros and Cons to both...

my $0.02 :)
Dave, I can say that my experience with them was not a good one and they know why and if they want to share with you all than that is there right. My problem was bad enough that they gave me my money back and I have the bad box and pixs as proof.  :B:

Back