• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

ABS light related to cruise control failure?

Skulptr

I have done a lot of searching and reading before I posted this, and I'm going to check all the usual cruise control killers, but none of the posts sounded like what mine seemed to do.

So I had to spend 4 hours stuck in the middle of a snowy pass yesterday morning due to a 5 semi pile up right in front of me. When it was finally cleared, I went to go again and the avy decided to just slide sideways into the guard rail. Since people around here are pathetic, no one stopped to help (after I helped EVERY SINGLE CAR BEHIND ME), I spent about 10 minutes spinning tires and dragging the side of my avy on about 200 feet of rail before I finally got back into the roadway and got going again. The avy was fine after that, I stopped about 10 miles down for an hour just to get out of the truck and survey damage and relax. When I went to leave, my abs light stayed on after starting it back up. I turned it off and stated it again, same thing. Too frustrated to care, I put it in gear and the abs light turned off right away.

I got about 30 miles down the road, the snow finally turned to pavement, went to use my cruise control, and nothing. It was working before I stopped, for the entire 400 miles before that. Is it possible that the computer is just keeping it offline because the abs detected a problem temporarily?

guess i'll reply to myself.

i replaced the brake switch, no change.

i cleared the computer, had 2 stored codes c0226 and c0222 for the front wheel sensors.

no change.

now i can press the set button very rapidly and the cruise light will come on but turn off instantly. i drive over 2k miles a month, all freeway, i'd love some insight.

Well the cruise control will not engage with any active codes. It does a system check before it engages.

I'm guessing you have bad wheel hubs that need replacement.

I cleared the codes and they have not returned. The abs only detected a fault after all the free tire spinning at all 4 corners when I was stuck. I think something else may be going on. From working, to not, with 10 minutes run time in between...?

Check your stop lamp switch, see if the brake lights are working.

What year and model do you have.

I have an 02 2500

I opened up my brake switch and found corrosion and build up in the contacts, cleaned them out, no change. But like I said in my last post, I put a new one in, no change.

My brake lights work Fine, and none of their contacts are corroded.

I read the computer again, abs codes are still gone, did a little more digging and found a p1574 buried in the enhanced dtc list. Cleared it out and now my cruise works again, but I know it's not going to last, and damn those new chmsl are spent little bastards, plus the clips I have to replace to get to it...

Yup a p1574  would cause it to not work.

i just wish i could find out the voltage its supposed to read so i could try to figure out a way to regulate it so the computer wouldnt think its faulting

I have the same AV 02 2500 and my ABS light comes on for no apparent reason...I never use cruise control. I did find somewhere on YouTube that its the ABS unit under the truck right beneath the driver side that needs to be re-soldered. Removal and soldering is easy, its the "taking-apart" the unit that seems like it could be a task.

mine only came on after all the tire spinning in 4lo, hasnt been back since, or before. its been a few days, my cruise is still working thankfully, got another 1k mile trip monday night

Back