• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Just another sqealing belt topic...

2002blackedout2500

My serpentine belt was squealing like a bat out of hell, but I knew it wasn't the belt because I just replaced it less than two months ago. I read somewhere that it could be my tensioner so I replaced it with a brand new one and it still squealed, more so when I accelerate.

I took the belt off again and started it up to see if it was the AC belt, wasn't that. Some even said it could be my water pump pulley, but I wasn't about to spend more money on the pulley removal tool and a new pulley...besides I don't think my mechanic level is high enough to take that on ;)

I found a video on YouTube that had some guy cleaning his pulley and rollers so I figure why not? Here's the vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUJQ271mHPs Here's the steps:

> Remove the serpentine belt
> Use carb cleaner and spray all over rollers and pulleys. The guy in the video said the reason for carb cleaner is because it dries very quickly
> Take some steel wool and clean pulleys
> Take an old toothbrush (the video said to use a wire brush but I didn't have one on hand) and clean all the gunk off the pulleys (do this more than once)
> Take the tooth brush and clean off the belt removing all dirt and debris in grooves

At this point the video said to replace the belt...but I figure to make sure the belt sticks to the rollers and pulleys I also...

> Sprayed a little belt dressing on a rag and wiped down the entire belt, did this twice which made the belt a little sticky. I didn't soak the belt with dressing but just coated it.

I then replaced the belt and its been four days without any squeals even as I accelerate!!  (y)

Lesson learned? Doesn't hurt to do some cleaning before replacing parts ;)

Thanks for the tips!  (y)  The vehicle my daughter drives squeals like a banshee when it's cold out.  I'm going to give this a shot.

I chased a noisy belt a while back.

Cleaning, pulley and tensioner replacements and new belts from several name brand manufacturers only solved the noise problem for a day or two.

Finally, I ran down and ordered a set of Goodyear Gatorback belts.

Problem solved and they have been quiet ever since.

EXT4ME said:
I chased a noisy belt a while back.

Cleaning, pulley and tensioner replacements and new belts from several name brand manufacturers only solved the noise problem for a day or two.

Finally, I ran down and ordered a set of Goodyear Gatorback belts.

Problem solved and they have been quiet ever since.

Yes I've heard of these belts! (y) So far so good, no squeals yet but I'm definitely ordering these too!!

I have the same rotational belt/squeal noise that I have heard is fixed by a new tensioner. I am not taking any chances though. I have dealt with Rock Auto for years and they are a great source for parts. I called all over here in Eugene, OR. and even the Goodyear dealer and no one has the Goodyear Gatorback belts. Found them at Rock Auto along with both the tensioners and the idler and with slow freight, 5-6 days, the total is about $160. Hell just the 2 tensioners at the dealer were around $180. Not including the idler or the belts. The tensioners and idler from Rock Auto are also AC Delco parts. I have fixed this problem before at the shops I ran but I am not going to piece meal it. While in there it all gets replaced.

raiderron said:
I have the same rotational belt/squeal noise that I have heard is fixed by a new tensioner. I am not taking any chances though. I have dealt with Rock Auto for years and they are a great source for parts. I called all over here in Eugene, OR. and even the Goodyear dealer and no one has the Goodyear Gatorback belts. Found them at Rock Auto along with both the tensioners and the idler and with slow freight, 5-6 days, the total is about $160. Hell just the 2 tensioners at the dealer were around $180. Not including the idler or the belts. The tensioners and idler from Rock Auto are also AC Delco parts. I have fixed this problem before at the shops I ran but I am not going to piece meal it. While in there it all gets replaced.

Hey raiderron...the squeal actually came back last week. I didn't want to wait to order the Gatorbacks but bought another brand called "Gates" http://www.gates.com/products/automotive/passenger-car-and-light-truck/accessory-belt-drive-system So far its been ok. The previous belt that I just cleaned did seem a bit stretched out...not sure what brand it was but it was from NAPA.

2002blackedout2500 said:
Hey raiderron...the squeal actually came back last week. I didn't want to wait to order the Gatorbacks but bought another brand called "Gates" http://www.gates.com/products/automotive/passenger-car-and-light-truck/accessory-belt-drive-system So far its been ok. The previous belt that I just cleaned did seem a bit stretched out...not sure what brand it was but it was from NAPA.

Yea, Gates is a brand of belts and hoses. Have used them many times with good results. I did work for Goodyear at one time and did always like their products. Once a belt is glazed a cleaning or lube can patch it but hardly ever fixes. I am convinced that the real problem is the tensioner. Have fixed with it before and heard of the same fix with it by other techs. You may still need to do that. Let me know how it goes, ok?

In my ordeal, all tensioners, pulleys, the alternator, and water pump were all changed out at some point.

The only pulley related part not changed out during this time was the a/c compressor as it was functioning normally and did not need to be messed with.

Granted, the water pump and alternator were replaced just due to being worn out or old, not just to chase a squeal.

The noises ALWAYS went away just after any of these parts were replaced.

But the squeal/chirping ALWAYS returned within a few days of driving after replacing any of the parts mentioned.

I used every top-line name brand of belt available at the local parts stores, including Gates.

I did not use any type of belt dressing as I do not believe in those products at all.

Click on the picture below to view a video of the sound I was chasing.

I had read good reports about the Goodyear Gatorback belts and ordered mine from Amazon.

The Goodyears Gatorback belt went on about 25,000 miles ago.

The sounds went away and have yet to return.

Been a while since I have seen the Gatorback belts because they were hard to find at the parts houses in the Eugene, Oregon area. Pretty much nonexistent. We just made do with what was available. I do remember that they had an angle cut across the ribs on the underside. Is that still the case? I haven't gotten my order yet from Rock Auto.  :wave: 

Here is the belt I bought at Amazon.

You will need to make sure this part number fits your application.

I gave $37.39 for the thing back on December 10, 2012.

Looks like you can get it now for $27.22 with an Amazon Prime account.

Between 30 and 40 dollars to make this problem go away ain't too bad.

(y)

blackedout are you in an area of the country where they can be found? Or I guess you will find out during your search.

EXT4ME said:
Here is the belt I bought at Amazon.

You will need to make sure this part number fits your application.

I gave $37.39 for the thing back on December 10, 2012.

Looks like you can get it now for $27.22 with an Amazon Prime account.

Between 30 and 40 dollars to make this problem go away ain't too bad.

(y)

The one listed is for the 105 amp alternator and the same as mine. I paid $24.79 for it and $15.26 for the a/c belt. I love Rock Auto.

Nice!

Yeah, I have the 105 amp with my 6.0.

I do seem to remember there was another part number for the bigger alternator that was an inch or so longer.

I didn't need it so I did not write down the part number.

EXT4ME said:
Nice!

Yeah, I have the 105 amp with my 6.0.

I do seem to remember there was another part number for the bigger alternator that was an inch or so longer.

I didn't need it so I did not write down the part number.

So I guess the bigger alternator, 145 amp?, is for maybe the 2500 series or if you have more of the electrical options depending on the build at the factory? I remember when I had a Duramax and I installed a bigger alternator and different belt because I was doing some add-ons and needed the extra output. I am new here and can figure out most things myself but I have to say it is so nice to have my own "TSB" catalog with you guys to save time diagnosing a problem and just go right to the more likely option. I always wonder how I made it as a tech when I started back in 1976. Having computers back then sure would have made it nice. :wave:

My understanding is the 145 amp alt uses a slightly longer belt than the 105 amper.

I have read a few posts here on the forum where guys have upgraded to the bigger alt and they sometimes complained that the old belt was a real bear to get on as it was so tight.

I am sure someone that actually has the bigger alt installed correctly can shed some light on this matter.

I have a 1500 and added a 145 alternator and yes you need the longer belt. They do make aftermarket alternators with a smaller pulley to keep the same belt. Just went with what NAPA had at the time.

EXT4ME said:
My understanding is the 145 amp alt uses a slightly longer belt than the 105 amper.

I have read a few posts here on the forum where guys have upgraded to the bigger alt and they sometimes complained that the old belt was a real bear to get on as it was so tight.

I am sure someone that actually has the bigger alt installed correctly can shed some light on this matter.

When you don't spring for the longer belt for the 145 amp alternator and you force the shorter 105 amp belt on then you move the tensioner to the end of it's travel and you put too much force on the bearings of all components that are turned by the belt. To save a few bucks will end up costing way more. What is more expensive, the new belt or the smaller pulley for the 145 amp? If you go to the smaller pulley how does that effect the amp output of the alternator?  ???

just following this thread so I don't lose it...again.

I searched for it for a good thirty minutes  :E:

DixieDarling said:
just following this thread so I don't lose it...again.

I searched for it for a good thirty minutes  :E:

Yea, if you have an '02 like it shows and if this repair has not been done by the previous owner then you will likely hear the noise one of these days and just replacing the belt will not fix. I am waiting for all my parts to get here and when I put them on I will report the results. :wave:

My noise started last week.  (n)
I thought it was cause it was cold.
Mom said its cause the belt was wet -- but it wasn't.
Dad spritzed it with water, noise got worse and he chuckled.
It goes away after a while but its embarrassing while it's happening  :9:

DixieDarling said:
My noise started last week.  (n)
I thought it was cause it was cold.
Mom said its cause the belt was wet -- but it wasn't.
Dad spritzed it with water, noise got worse and he chuckled.
It goes away after a while but its embarrassing while it's happening  :9:

Yes, when a belt gets wet it can make a squeal noise when going thru the pulleys because it is slipping a bit till it dries off and then the noise diminishes or goes completely away. As the belt gets older it will dry out, crack, glaze etc. and all that will contribute to noise. Replacing it or them usually takes care of the noise. But as the other components age that work with the belt then they too contribute to noises. So just when you think belt replacement fixes your problem/noise then the noises come back. There are bearings and springs in the idlers and tensioners and sometimes there are updated designs that do a better job for the tensioners and idlers. That is why I am going to just do it all while I am in there and start at ground zero. I have no regrets for getting the first year AV and look forward to all the puzzles ahead of me. As I said, I will be posting all updates as I go along. Hell, I went to replace the DRL with amber today and found that the bulbs were melted in to the socket and now had to order the 90 degree 2 wire sockets to replace as well as the bulbs. Oh well, it is what it is.... (y) :B: 

@Raiderron

My belt only whines for the first few minutes after I crank it. I think once the engine warms up it quits -- is THAT the infamous noise or does it get worse ?? I'm just trying to decide if its necessary to replace now, or a minor annoyance.

That is how it starts out. It will be a minor annoyance at first and then over time it will get worse. You can just replace both the serpentine belts and that may take care of your noise problems. What I have found over the years is that if the 2 belt tensioners have not been changed before and if the 1 idler has not been changed before then eventually they will be needed. If your rig has enough miles on it then you can do as I am going to do and just change them all now. I would definitely use the Goodyear Gatorback belts and A/C Delco tensioners/idler. All that can be ordered in from Rock Auto parts. I can send you all the part #'s when I get them. You will also need to know if your alternator is 105 amp or 145 amp. The alternator is mounted in such a way that the amp rating can be seen easily on the alternator body unless it has been changed to an aftermarket alternator and the numbering may be gone. The FED EX truck just came and dropped off the parts. Here are the part numbers and pricing:

A/C Belt-#4040377-$15.26
Engine Belt-#4060922-$24.79
Tensioner-#38158-$33.79
Tensioner-#38159-$35.79
Idler-#12580771-$35.79
------------------------------
Total-$145.42

With my freight the whole bill came to $159.07

(y)  (y)  (y)

Back