• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Airbag Seam Opened up on Passenger Seat Upper Bolster- 2010 Avalanche

trekra

Airbag in upper passenger-side seat bolster exposed due to the seam opening up.  

My dad's 2010 Avalanche with moderate miles (50K, give or take) just developed this issue, exposing the airbag materials.  Passenger side outer bolster seam split- not around the seam, the actual seam.  NOTE- It doesn't get used much- most days it's just him.  There were no signs of wear- like I said, most days it's just him driving alone.  

Anyone else have a seat seam just open up on its own?  And, yes, I know that many of us have had fabric wear thin, or simply have the stitching on a seam wear out due to use- I'm NOT looking for feedback on wear and tear, or your "similar" experience where it wore out.  I'm really looking to see if anyone truly doesn't use a seat much, but have had the AIRBAG seam completely come open on its own.

This is a significant safety issue, and I believe something like this should be covered by the Mfgr at no charge.

That said, I can't really add anything else.  Sorry.

rgbeard said:
This is a significant safety issue, and I believe something like this should be covered by the Mfgr at no charge.
Yes it is.

My thoughts exactly.  It is clear looking at it that it isn't a wear issue- the airbag seats are sewn with "breakaway thread" apparently, and it seems to have prematurely separated.  The dealer offered to order a replacement upper seat cover, but want to charge over $300 just for the upper cover, and can't commit that it will match the rest of the coverings.  They also reached out to an upholstery company, but they said they wouldn't touch it.  Can't blame them- with our litigious society and overly complex features, who would want to?! 

I recommended going with aftermarket but custom fit seat covers- perhaps some of the neoprene or other durable fabric.  We'll see.  Doesn't sound like GM will stand behind it, but it seems like a crazy liability issue just as it is.

I would elevate this above the dealer if they wont do anything... this is part of the airbag design and should be covered imo

Just gotta ask....why don't you simply resew the seam?

ltxi said:
Just gotta ask....why don't you simply resew the seam?

That's certainly an option, but as mentioned above, the dealer tried to get an upholstery company to do it and they refused.  My parents are considering sewing it themselves, but I am not too keen on that idea.  It would be easy enough to do, but what happens if there's an accident and the seam doesn't open as intended because it was stitched too well?  Supposed to try to find "breakaway thread", but even then using the right amount to prevent it from recurring vs having too much and not letting go is the big challenge.

May look at a replacement seat, but I'm suspicious of purchasing a used airbag seat- gotta trust the provider.  On top of that, it will take some careful comparison because apparently the fabrics weren't always an exact match over the years, in either color or texture, according to the dealer.  I'm HIGHLY suspect of that statement, but for as much as one would go for, I don't want to be wrong, either.

Oh, hell....I'd stop obsessing and just intelligently sew it back up.

trekra said:
My thoughts exactly.  It is clear looking at it that it isn't a wear issue- the airbag seats are sewn with "breakaway thread" apparently, and it seems to have prematurely separated.  The dealer offered to order a replacement upper seat cover, but want to charge over $300 just for the upper cover, and can't commit that it will match the rest of the coverings.  They also reached out to an upholstery company, but they said they wouldn't touch it.  Can't blame them- with our litigious society and overly complex features, who would want to?! 

I recommended going with aftermarket but custom fit seat covers- perhaps some of the neoprene or other durable fabric.  We'll see.  Doesn't sound like GM will stand behind it, but it seems like a crazy liability issue just as it is.
I would talk the DOT about this for that is a safety issue and should be covered by the safety laws.

Back